Dragged home number 2

over2land

Sorry guys, don't have pics. Its dark. Hopefully next week sometime.

Oh, and sorry guys again, this is long, I thought I should explain.

As you may or may not know, my first Manche burned last year... its been sitting, and only recently have I started in on the repairs. The body isn't particularly straight on it, but there isn't a spec of rust anywhere (even under the carpet), and I found a smoking deal on a late model XJ. So, the XJ will give its life to bring the 88 shortbox eliminator back. I thought it was going to be a wham bam kind of project, but one thing led to another with it, and now its looking like I'm gonna cage it while its torn apart.

Anyway... so that left me with being so close driving the Comanche again, and then not being close at all again. Time to cry in the craigslist.

Found a '89 shortbed pioneer the guy was asking 850.

Went to look at it. The pukegoat trans had no third, it was 2WD, had a bench seat, missing the headliner and a-pillar plastic, the paint is thrashed. May or may not have a rod knock or other knock in the motor... hard to hear over the throwout bearing squealing.

The good is, I can't find a dent on the body, what is left of the interior is spotless, no rips in the bench seat, no stains, air blows cold, all gauges work, all warning lights work, etc.

Anyway, I had 500 in my pocket, and after driving the truck around, offer it to him. He accepts, and I drive a new to me MJ home.

Again, sorry so long to get here.

I've spent half of this month on the road, I started this deal two trips ago, and am leaving tomorrow on another trip. I finally got the guy and the truck in the same place, and I'm excited about the score (I almost shouldn't be allowed to have this clean a body in a pickup). I'm actually waiting for laundry to get out of the dryer while I type this novel.

I did a quick search, but I'm pressed for time, and leaving soon for another 6 or so days on the road. I don't know if I'll have internet, but wanted to get this out there.

Right now its 2WD. It needs a trans. I happen to have a trans and t-case that were going to go in my 88 before it burned. They've been sitting on the floor awating a vehicle. They'll be going in this one. Problem is, with the 88 I was planning on just stealing XJ parts for the 4WD shifter, as the truck had bucket seats. This 89 has a bench, and I don't remember seeing a bench seat 4WD MJ. Were they made? Anyone got a pic of the 4WD shifter?

I'm going to check the engine for compression and leak down, drain the oil and check for silver or gold... if the engine is shot (140K miles on it), I'm going to stay Renix, but was wondering about a Renix stroker. Anyone do it? Different than a HO stroker? Just a wacked out thought I had while driving it home.

Thanks all.

I'll post pics when I get em.

Yep, that was me.

Poor truck. For a bit there I was trying to sell the whole thing. Now I'm making it whole again.

I found pics of the 4WD shifter with the bench. Is the "console" (for lack of a better word) the same for the 2WD and 4WD trucks? Can that "console" be found in an XJ?

Yep, that was me.

Poor truck. For a bit there I was trying to sell the whole thing. Now I'm making it whole again.

I found pics of the 4WD shifter with the bench. Is the "console" (for lack of a better word) the same for the 2WD and 4WD trucks? Can that "console" be found in an XJ?

put the XJ buckets and long-console in the MJ buy a set of cupholders from quadratec and don't look back jamminz.gif

i love the center console in my truck with the buckets, i had the mini console and buckets and it was silly, nowhere to put anything. ended up shoving a square lunchbox between the seats for a make-shift console.

yea the tiny console can be found in some XJ...i have a spare maroon one if ya need one...just lemme know...just collecting dust in the garage

Is it a 4WD one? Is the 4WD one even different than the 2WD one?

If its the 4WD and its different than the 2WD, I definately want it. Let's go PM on it.

Yep, pics were taken with the phone... first day in literally months I had no camera on me. I've taken a camera everywhere every day since.

The '88 is getting the buckets and console from the XJ. I dunno, I just don't wanna mess with the inside of the '89 if I don't have to. I bet I'll end up hating not having a console to put stuff in... but then, I only ever put stuff I never saw again in the long console.

Is it a 4WD one? Is the 4WD one even different than the 2WD one?

nah same thing, just punch the little chap-stick holder out and insert your 4x4 selector panel thing

yup exactly what he said....mine already has the "coin holder" removed b/c it was a 4wd one...if you want a pic of it ill post one up tomorrow so u can see it..just pm me...if you look in my project page you can see a pic of it when i had the bench still in it

yea the tiny console can be found in some XJ...i have a spare maroon one if ya need one...just lemme know...just collecting dust in the garage

Ok, well I got to spend more time with the truck this morning...

and the mini-console is broken all around where the shifter boot is supposed to clip in. I didn't notice it when I looked at it that night.

Anyway, I'll shoot ya a PM on the console, as it looks like I do need yours after all.