Chebby Drop Shackles

On 12/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, Pete M said:

interesting.  I wonder if there's some variation in different manufacturers' parts?

I have a third set from there Pete still in the box. I might get a measurement and post pics but it was super easy to fix. If irc the sleeve sticks past the poly bushings each side like 3/16" on the brand I bought from auto zone. All 3 sets were the same brand.

The ones I have are definitely wider at both ends. Eyeballed them under the truck today and the frame side is as noted above @1/8" + wider than the mounts. Spring side looks like it will need 1-2 washers on each side of the spring eye to have a tight fit. I got these a couple years ago, can't even remember where from, i.e. if from a retailer or from an individual. 

10 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I have a third set from there Pete still in the box. I might get a measurement and post pics but it was super easy to fix. If irc the sleeve sticks past the poly bushings each side like 3/16" on the brand I bought from auto zone. All 3 sets were the same brand.

But poly bushings aren't OEM spring bushings, they're aftermarket. As far as I'm concerned, all bets are off with aftermarket.

15759015105814297658701981154541.jpg.803458e6c69b9c6089ff5176e89c6122.jpg

11 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

The ones I have are definitely wider at both ends. Eyeballed them under the truck today and the frame side is as noted above @1/8" + wider than the mounts. Spring side looks like it will need 1-2 washers on each side of the spring eye to have a tight fit. I got these a couple years ago, can't even remember where from, i.e. if from a retailer or from an individual. 

Must be the same ones I got. Now you mentioned the washers and irc hunting some in the garage last time for the bottom since the spring binded it seemed if I bent them. I didn't recall having to do that on the first set though. The dude was here on the last set I installed. He was here helping motivate getting the project rolling again by some friendly trash talking words of encouragement. I gladly accepted the challenge and enlisted his help to install the springs and shackles. I must say it was a lot faster and easier with 2 people. I found the box but no shackles? So I don't know if I had only 2 sets or but it was empty in another mj. Either way this is the brand and what the box looked like probably 5 years ago I'm guessing lol.

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

But poly bushings aren't OEM spring bushings, they're aftermarket. As far as I'm concerned, all bets are off with aftermarket.

Well his sig does say mt leaves. No clue if they are aftermarket or factory. Mine were Hell Creek metric ton packs. I found out through them, after they arrived, about how they use a different main eye bushing(what's in xjs) and not the original oem mj bushing. I know they are a different diameter but I never bothered to check width or ask since I didn't "visually" noticed that difference but only the offset centering pin and bushings. By now surely most people have put new aftermarket leaf packs or bushings in after 25 plus years especially since nos one isn't an option for most folk.

So I did a Google search and behold cc popped up. I found this old thread:

256338805_Capture_2019-12-09-09-44-35.png.98317d0a06faa97f4f90d380e34e8698.png

With this pic quickly after scrolling:

1688250893_Capture_2019-12-09-09-44-27.png.448a81f24af1fd78335c0c33da086f18.png

It's the same brand I got a while back and looked identical. I can see difference maybe on the leaf side from manufacturers but the shackle mount would not change and that's what needs trimmed. Furthermore it appears to be the cheap go to for many members. Mine have held up well and I was hesitant on going poly but with only that 1 bushing, I can't tell the difference.

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

1432060898_Capture_2019-12-09-09-56-19.png.49e30fe78f3bd54184b1c2ead1217f90.png

So found these on Amazon. Advance sells them too. They appear to be more but for guys like Eagle that don't want poly, but don't want to dish out "factory", these might be more up your alley. I'd consider how long that little bushing lasts though. It's why I saved more and went poly:brows:

12 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

By now surely most people have put new aftermarket leaf packs or bushings in after 25 plus years especially since nos one isn't an option for most folk.

Whyever would you say that? I haven't changed the bushings or the leaf packs in any of my MJs or XJs, and I have no intention of doing so (with the possible exception that I might add a leaf to the rear of the 2WD MJ to bring it up to 4WD ride height).

"And stop calling me Shirley."

Got these mounted up today. Had to get my shop to install them, upper bolts were seized to the bushing pin. Pretty sure they were OE and never removed. Shop did not say anything about having any difficulty going in on the frame side, so all good. I haven't measured yet but it is very noticeable, I think I got a full 1.5" out of them. They are 7.5" eye to eye.