Turn Signal Stem Lever bad?

I've had a turn signal issue crop up over these past 3-4 weeks.  We all know how funky our turn signals can be on these MJs, and I've found that a good cleaning or replacement of the bulbs usually fixes about every odd-ball, weird issue I've had since ownership.  but I'm thinking this issue is different.

About 50% of the time that I activate my signals, either side, my dash indicator lights up but it does not blink--just stays solid.  Same with the outside lenses...they just stay lit up but don't blink.  I've gone through all of the bulbs and sockets with thorough cleaning thinking that I'b be back in business and proud of myself.  No-go.

Sometimes, after i hit my lever, the dash indicator would light up and after a few seconds it would begin flashing and working correctly.  But most of the time it wouldn't work.  I've tried toggling back and forth, but really nothing helps.

My emergency flashers work, so I would think that this proves my flasher unit is good.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps my turn signal lever (stem/stalk) unit may be the issue.  Anyone had to replace theirs?  Any experiences in troubleshooting or fixing without full replacement?

I'd done a search on the site regarding this lever assembly, but can't really find anything useful after 20-minutes.  

BTW, no cruise control on mine.

I’m almost certain that there are two flasher relays. One is for the turn signals and the other is for the hazard circuit. So your hazard one is good. Perhaps the then signal is on its way out? 

Otherwise tearing off the steering wheel and replacing the whole turn signal switch is a pita unless you have time to sit down and do it. 

I've had a turn signal issue crop up over these past 3-4 weeks.  We all know how funky our turn signals can be on these MJs, and I've found that a good cleaning or replacement of the bulbs usually fixes about every odd-ball, weird issue I've had since ownership.  but I'm thinking this issue is different.

About 50% of the time that I activate my signals, either side, my dash indicator lights up but it does not blink--just stays solid.  Same with the outside lenses...they just stay lit up but don't blink.  I've gone through all of the bulbs and sockets with thorough cleaning thinking that I'b be back in business and proud of myself.  No-go.

Sometimes, after i hit my lever, the dash indicator would light up and after a few seconds it would begin flashing and working correctly.  But most of the time it wouldn't work.  I've tried toggling back and forth, but really nothing helps.

My emergency flashers work, so I would think that this proves my flasher unit is good.

I'm beginning to think that perhaps my turn signal lever (stem/stalk) unit may be the issue.  Anyone had to replace theirs?  Any experiences in troubleshooting or fixing without full replacement?

I'd done a search on the site regarding this lever assembly, but can't really find anything useful after 20-minutes.  

BTW, no cruise control on mine.

Had almost the same exact issue when I got my 88. There should be 2 flasher units on the fuze block, one in the top right and bottom left if I remember correctly. Top right controls 4 ways and the other controls your regular blinkers. The 4 way and regular flasher relays are interchangeable so you should be able to switch out the blinker for the 4 way and see if that fixes your issue.

When I pulled my flasher, the terminals were corroded to hell and back, so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ha.  You guys nailed it!  In my 89, the lower flasher unit was the one that controls the turn signals.  Mine was made of a plastic housing, unlike the aluminum housing of the upper flasher.  The last time I went to the junkyard, I pulled flashers, fuses and a bunch of other stuff and bagged them up.  That was a good plan, as I popped the plastic flasher out and replaced with a junkyard unit.  I'm back in business.

Thank you, Gentlemen.  I'm a bit more knowledgeable now.   Baby steps.