KJ CRD question

mjeff87

In my wanderings to find a cheap replacement vehicle for my dead KJ, I came across a CRD KJ for relatively short money.  Looks nice from the pics, but the ad says it "needs fuel injectors".  Me not knowing anything about the 2.8 oil burner, how big of a red flag is that?  Seems to me that ALL of the injectors wouldn't go bad at the same time, so I'm thinking there's a larger underlying issue (there always is......).

What would y'all get out of reading that?  I haven't called the guy about it, and I probably won't, but I'm curious.

Thanks

I hate to say do a search on the jeep crd with injector issues, but that actually is the best idea to see if it is a common problem and how it was fixed. Those engine had to be used in more than one vehicle. You can also inquire about the cost to have the fuel injectors tested, rebuilt, and calibrated. 

Diesel injectors are not cheap. Compression ratios are twice what gas engines see, and they don't just spray into the intake, they fire right into the compressed air mixture. Thousands of PSI. If you think the injectors are expensive, look up an injection pump. 

I also find it unlikely multiple injectors crapped out at once. The only thing I can think of that might cause that is contaminated fuel. Water, or maybe even gas. If it runs but just rough, it might be not a terrible fix, but if it's not running at all, that can be a pretty big deal with a diesel. 

The blades in the injector pump are a carbon/ceramic combination and will clog the injectors when it’s impellers explode.

engines are good, timing is a must to keep up on.  Water pump is driven off timing belt so do them when doing the belt along with all tensioner sand pulleys, thermostats suck and require removal of timing to do, though there is an aftermarket one to put a Chevy 350 serviceable thermostat in place.

interference engine that tends to break rocker arms rather than bend valves, which is good since it should probably have an egr delete done and new lash adjusters and rockers due to heavy sooting in valve train.

the kits for the injectors are cheap