renix to obd1

so ive looked and looked and i haven"t found much info. so i finally did my ho swap... but its in a 1990 renix. now I'm sure many of you know renix wiring leaves alot to be desired.... now i have a 1992 comanche complete... minus alot of stuff... but the full wiring is there. is it worth swaping harneses over from the renix to the 92? yes i know its alot. I'm also planning on installign ac that will be coming out of the 92.. so dash and everything will be apart so thats the time to do it. i have everything i need. but is it worth it? i have a starting issue i can't seem to nail down either... thoughts? 

The '92 wiring will have a LOT of small advantages and some big advantages over '90 wiring. A real exterior fuse and relay box, organized wire runs, the feeling that the thing may have been touched by an actual engineer, etc. Is that all enough to make me want to swap a harness? Maybe if I had to remove everything anyway or was starting from an empty shell. I don't think I'd rip an entire (functional or repairable) Renix harness out of a truck and swap it with an HO harness on its own, though. Lots of changes would have to be made - it won't just slot in unless you swap literally everything from an HO donor.

One thing I would NEVER do is backdate an HO vehicle to use anything Renix. Even if it's all I had. I'd rather build my own harness than swap Renix wiring into anything it didn't come in from the factory.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

One thing I would NEVER do is backdate an HO vehicle to use anything Renix. Even if it's all I had. I'd rather build my own harness than swap Renix wiring into anything it didn't come in from the factory.

I would.

If I ever see a super clean 97+ XJ, for the right price, I'm going to Renix swap it. :dunce:

i guess maybe i wasnt specific.. sorry. i have a running and driving 90 that has an ho motor in it with a renix ecu. hard starting tho. trying to figure out why but not solving it. i have a 92 comanche i have been slowly pulling parts from. it still has the complete wiring harness ecu dash everything. i plan to pull dashes from both jeeps and swap interiors. ( 1 is grey one is red. i like the grey more) at the same time i am putting in ac. now being that everything will be apart thats the time to swap ecus and wireing if.... its worth it. otherwise i won't bother. otherwise ill just leave the renix alone. but i would like better starting and a cleaner wiring system.. 

• 11 months later...

If anyone is following this. I ended up going ahead with the swap. A couple things I found out. First I found several bad connections when I was pulling out the old harness. This could have been the cause of a few of my issues. Second its alot of work but... totally worth it. It cleaned up the wiring so much. And now my starting is amazing. And swapping just the renix to the ho block yes it gave it more power but when you swap the ecm to match.. soo much better I was getting 375km to a tank of fuel now I'm seeing 450 pluss. The power and tourque increases are definitely noticable. Now I can actually cruise at highway speeds. Couldnt do that before. 

Things to note. 

The fuel sending  units are different you need a 92 to read properly. 

Ignition switches and map sensor are identical. No need to change. 

The ecm will need to relearn the engine. Not a big deal but worth noting. 

The rear tail lights plug is different you will have to swap it out unless you do a custom harness. 

Accessory package on engine is different but performs better. 

Power steering pump remains the same but brackets will have to change if you are changing any of that. I'm sure if you dabbed it up you could make it work but I just swapped all the 92 stuff over. 

Over all worth the swap. But it's a bit of work