Battery Tray

Dzimm

I'm looking for a battery tray for my XJ.  It can be cracked, broken, or otherwise worthless.  As long as it can be halfway bolted down and keep a battery away from the fan I don't care what it looks like.  They can be bought new for $40 shipped but I don't want to spend that for a piece of plastic in a beater Jeep driven 3 months of the year.

Hoping someone has one they would otherwise throw away so it can be cheap.  If not, I'll use plywood.

24 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Yes it would!  They all function the same, only difference is in some year they added the battery sensor hole in the bottom.

I’ve got one and I’m near La Crosse WI. What’s it worth to ya?

15 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I’ve got one and I’m near La Crosse WI. What’s it worth to ya?

Would you do $20 shipped?  I'm just East of Des Moines, IA (my zip is 50054) so shipping would be cheap. 

Edit: I'm assuming it's in decent shape since you didn't say it was broken at all?

54 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Would you do $20 shipped?  I'm just East of Des Moines, IA (my zip is 50054) so shipping would be cheap. 

Edit: I'm assuming it's in decent shape since you didn't say it was broken at all?

I will check to make sure it isn’t broken tomorrow. 

Did you you get your head cleaned out on your XJ?

Just now, 89 MJ said:

Did you you get your head cleaned out on your XJ?

I haven't done anything to it since pulling it apart.  The head seemed to be fine at first glance so I'll do some degreasing and see what it really looks like.  If it doesn't look bad and the valve seats don't leak, ill probably slap it back together and see what happens.

The gasket kit, bolts, and exhaust manifold showed up over the last couple days so this weekend I will be working on it and update the thread.

9 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I haven't done anything to it since pulling it apart.  The head seemed to be fine at first glance so I'll do some degreasing and see what it really looks like.  If it doesn't look bad and the valve seats don't leak, ill probably slap it back together and see what happens.

The gasket kit, bolts, and exhaust manifold showed up over the last couple days so this weekend I will be working on it and update the thread.

If you end up needing a head, I have one off of a 97. 

FYI, there are different size battery trays.  To the best of my knowledge, the older ones (up to 96) are slightly longer, measuring about 7.5" by 10.5".  The later 96 and up trays with the battery sensor are 7.5" by 9.5".  The larger tray is #52002092 while the newer, smaller tray is #55235294.  They use the same hold down hardware.

I don't know enough about battery sizes to know if the small difference could cause a factory application battery to not fit a later tray.

I've read an article about putting a larger alternator on the older 4.0, and it mentions the possibility of having to trim the battery tray.  Likely, the later tray would not require that.

In the pics below, you can see the difference looking at the left side of each tray. (driver side as they are installed).

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

3 hours ago, schardein said:

FYI, there are different size battery trays.  To the best of my knowledge, the older ones (up to 96) are slightly longer, measuring about 7.5" by 10.5".  The later 96 and up trays with the battery sensor are 7.5" by 9.5".  The larger tray is #52002092 while the newer, smaller tray is #55235294.  They use the same hold down hardware.

I don't know enough about battery sizes to know if the small difference could cause a factory application battery to not fit a later tray.

I've read an article about putting a larger alternator on the older 4.0, and it mentions the possibility of having to trim the battery tray.  Likely, the later tray would not require that.

In the pics below, you can see the difference looking at the left side of each tray. (driver side as they are installed).

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Never realized there were multiple sizes.  I haven't had any issues with fitment of a battery, usually a lot of extra room.  They must have realized the extra size was useless.:dunno:

5 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Never realized there were multiple sizes.  I haven't had any issues with fitment of a battery, usually a lot of extra room.  They must have realized the extra size was useless.:dunno:

I mentioned it mainly so you could confirm that the battery you currently have would work in a (possibly) smaller tray.

One could assume that the factory battery changed size when the change was made, but like you said, it may have simply been they realized it was larger than it needed to be.  If they were redesigning for the temp sensor, why not save some room (and money) by making it smaller.

8 minutes ago, schardein said:

I mentioned it mainly so you could confirm that the battery you currently have would work in a (possibly) smaller tray.

One could assume that the factory battery changed size when the change was made, but like you said, it may have simply been they realized it was larger than it needed to be.  If they were redesigning for the temp sensor, why not save some room (and money) by making it smaller.

Thanks for the info.  I'll be buying a new battery for it anyway so I can make sure it fits in whatever I end up with.