BA10/5 oil weight experiment

I wanted to share me experience with dreaded puke goat transmission and some success I have had with it.

I have a 1988 Eliminator with the 4.0 and the BA10/5 transmission. My 3rd and 4th gear synchro is toast. So when I first got it I replaced the fluid with Redline mt-90 and it didn't help at all.... After watching a youtube video by Thunderhead289 about Lucas stop slip helping his Ford Ranger shift with bad synchros I decided to give it a shot. I drained out half a quart of the Redline and added the Lucas. This was a bad idea. Previously after about 5 minutes of driving I could get it to slip into gear without grinding but after add the super thick lucus it was nearly impossible. So I got to thinking that I would try a lighter weight oil in it. I scoured the internet for a couple of days and found some posts where people were using 10w-30 engine oil with success. Initially this sounded like a terrible idea. Upon further investigation I found where someone had gotten a reply from Peugeot about the new oil weight recommendation being 10w-30 and they posted the email response. 

Well I figured what the hell, why not? My transmission is already on its last leg and I will be replacing it soon anyways so I gave it a shot. All I can say is WOW!!! It shifts so much better. Everything is way smoother. It's night and day. I know this is probably going to throw up red flags for a ton of people but I should remind you the engine oil weight and gear oil weights are not measured the same. I do think that I will replace the transmission oil at the same interval as the engine though.

Has anyone else found this information before? If Peugeot has recalled the weight and changed it to 10w-30 then why not run it? With frequent changing I don't see how this can really hurt anything. Also there is no yellow metal in the ba10. All the synchros are aluminum.

4 minutes ago, Cheapamanche said:

How often do you change the oil in your trans and diff? Do you use synthetics or conventional?

I ran it for over a year and a half before I took my truck apart for a rebuild. 

2 parts conventional to 1 part Lucas. 

I'd not change it unless I had to. 

In the Fall I'm going to do my brake swap, I'll be opening the rear to get the axles out, I'll post pics of the fluid. I'm curious myself just how clean it is after about 30K miles. 

Would I suggest anyone else do this experiment? No, of course not.........however.......

People are taught BS by others, they accept what they are taught as truth and regurgitate it whether it is true or not.

When the problem with sulpher-bearing additives in GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils eating the synchros in the AX-5 and AX-5 transmissions became known, the factory recommendation changed to 10W30 motor oil. The parts guys at my dealership showed me the notification, many years ago.