Jump to content
54bobby

stumbling, bucking, and stalls when shifted into reverse.

Recommended Posts

my 87 2.5 with the AW4 when shifted into reverse stumbles with lower rpm's than in drive to the point that she stalls 95% of the time and the other 5% you have to feather the throttle while holding the brake. i know the egr is bad but has never affected the reverse operation before. i don't know if the other problem i'm having is related or not but she also is very very (near impossible) to start half the time when warm, unless i pull the intake to throttle body hook up from the tb. it looks, smells,and cranks like she's flooding out. if i manually work the throttle plate while not running, she will then start. what is the name of the part that has the little button like plunger in the linkage that (i think) is supposed to allow fuel to remain in the tb for a faster next start. would this part cause either or both of my problems? if not, can someone point me in the right direction?

 

thanks in advance, i can say that cause you knuckle heads have never failed me yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 54bobby said:

what is the name of the part that has the little button like plunger in the linkage that (i think) is supposed to allow fuel to remain in the tb for a faster next start.

Closed Throttle Switch (CTS). Tells ECU throttle is closed.

 

With KEY OFF, connect ohmmeter between D2-7 and D2-13. Push the plunger in and out. Does ohmmeter show switch is operating properly?

D1_D2.jpg.3e862bbc5fb87f631665c6cd222ff695.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The black plastic box to the left.........is this what you are talking about?

 

If so, it's the idle motor.

I doubt you have a CTS. 

 

 

NQnPNrI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, I'd look at the MAP and also the tube to the MAP and the port on the TB that it attaches to ........needs to be cleaned, carb or brake cleaner, blow it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Or the intake manifold bolts are loose.

 

Or the vacuum lines in the photo are shot.

 

 

4 cyl TB hoses.jpg

not sure about the I'm bolts but 2 of the 3 exhaust manifold bolts are sheered off since iv'e had her, about 8 years.  my son had her on a road trip about 5 years ago and the down pipe let go off the manifold. well him being knowledgless about engines, just drove it nd WHEN it caught fire, it fried the entire vacuum harness and most of the lines. that map sensor tubing is pieced together with a few different sized tubbings but is not leaking. that line goes on the bottom tb fitting correct? and the second fitting is connected to a port on the side of a 1990 something metal valve cover from a wrangler correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

The black plastic box to the left.........is this what you are talking about?

 

If so, it's the idle motor.

I doubt you have a CTS. 

 

 

NQnPNrI.jpg

 

yes, that black box is the set up i have. could it cause my issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Closed Throttle Switch (CTS). Tells ECU throttle is closed.

 

With KEY OFF, connect ohmmeter between D2-7 and D2-13. Push the plunger in and out. Does ohmmeter show switch is operating properly?

D1_D2.jpg.3e862bbc5fb87f631665c6cd222ff695.jpg

 

 

where are these diagnostic connector located?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 54bobby said:

where are these diagnostic connector located?

Right hand side of engine compartment, mounted on a bracket, should have yellow caps on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Right hand side of engine compartment, mounted on a bracket, should have yellow caps on them.

 

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...