1989 4.0 4x4 Metric Ton 49K original miles

About me:  My first car was a '96 4.0 ZJ and I've been a Jeep fan ever since.  Over the years I've owned a number of jeeps: '89 TJ 2.5, '85 CJ7 304, '04 WJ 4.0, '00 WJ 4.7, '88 MJ 2.5 and still have a n XJ, TJ and WJ.   A few years ago I was set on buying a J20, but eventually I started looking at MJs.  I picked up my first one a couple years ago ('88 sb rwd 2.5 144K miles) and fell in love with these trucks! 

In May of 2019, I scored an '89 LB from another MJ enthousiast and sold the '88.  Would have loved to keep the short bed too but it was the only way to get the '89 home without being murdered by my wife (since I also own an '04 Overland WJ, '98 XJ, and an '02 TJ). 

About this thread: Starting this thread to track this build as it evolves over the months and years to come.  This'll likely be a very slow project with the craziness of life (two young kids and house renovation in progress) but I don't plan on ever selling this truck so it'll be well worth it.  I'm pretty green when it comes to working on my own rigs but over the last couple years I've been learning more.  

What I'm starting with1989 Long Bed 4.0 Auto 4x4 metric ton, color matched camper shell with 49,000 original miles!

This truck has not been registered or inspected since 2010 and will need some serious love after sitting for so long.  Overall, its really clean, original paint is in good shape and little rust underneath, the bad news is that the floors are completely gone and I've got some serious leaks that will need to be addressed.  Other minor electrical and mechanical issues will need to be addressed before I can get her on the road but I'm super exited and feel lucky for what I have to start with!

IMG_E5403.JPG

IMG_5445.PNG

IMG_5446.PNG

Here's the floor that I'm starting to tackle.  Fortunately the previous owner started the floor pan repairs but I still could use some pointers here.  I'm unsure how much I should cut out of the passenger side as it's rusty but still relatively solid.   My main goals are to stop the rot (as best a I can), keep out the elements, make it structurally sound.  I'd prefer to do this right and since I have very limited welding skills, I'm going to get some help with welding the panels in place. 

Would love any tips or advice for those who have tackled this in the past...

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6594.jpg

I'm a little torn on what to do with it... part of me wants to keep it close to stock.  Maybe mild lift and some new bumpers.  The other part of me wants to go SOA and Clayton Long arms up front on 33's or 35's.   First step is to get it road worthy... caught myself day dreaming and researching lifts/tires but those are far from priorities at this point. 

• 3 weeks later...

that's a good idea Pete, even just taking to shows might help convince my wife that other people like these trucks too :)

Right now I'm thinkin'  it'll be a weekend ride, something take my son camping in and the occasional commute to work in the summer... that sorta thing.