AW4 torque converter?

Does anyone know of a good reputable company that is either making new TC for the aw4 or possibly good reman’s? After replacing my flex plate a while back I’ve still been getting an intermittent “knock” and a “cans in a rock” sound on occasion when coasting and then reapplying throttle, it seems to go away when the TC is locked but with my new REM I can see the knock sensor go up about 5units on occasion when the TC is locked indicating (hopefully) that the main issue all along is a bad or damaged TC, I’m going to try to bring it down to AMMCO one of these days as one of the other members here on CC mentioned that they do free or super cheap diagnoses but I figured I’d start the search now as it seems these little things seem to run in the $200-300 range but I’m not sure which direction to look for a quality unit any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

-thanks in advance I know this is a weird one

7 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wellllll I found two dealers that have a torque converter but Chrysler’s price makes $200-$300 look like chump change. 

Do one of these dealers happen to be Oregon performance? I can only seem to find them and import alliance who sell AW4 TC or eBay but I'm pretty sure the ebay seller is Oregon performance....maybe I'm not looking hard enough :dunno: 

6 hours ago, ComancheKid45 said:

I got one a few years ago from an eBay store. Also look up options for the A340 transmission, which is the Toyota equivalent to the AW4

Any chance you remember who the seller was?

44 minutes ago, 88mancheman said:

Do one of these dealers happen to be Oregon performance? I can only seem to find them and import alliance who sell AW4 TC or eBay but I'm pretty sure the ebay seller is Oregon performance....maybe I'm not looking hard enough :dunno: 

No. Neither of them are. The dealers that have them are back east and Chrysler is asking $1250.00 for these converters.

59 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

No. Neither of them are. The dealers that have them are back east and Chrysler is asking $1250.00 for these converters.

:sad: oh well, I saw Chrysler wanted an insane amount for a TC, for the price they are asking I'd throw a few hundred more on top and buy a brand new ax15 :doh:

Anyone know if Dacco , Transstar , or Oregon performance are any good? those seem to be the only places I've found selling the AW4 TC for a reasonable amount:brickwall:

Be sure of your diagnosis. Poke around some more. And, AMMCO has a free diagnosis which always leads to a very expensive overhaul......

Look at motor mounts, trans mount, exhaust system routing and possibility of contact with stuff. 

On 7/9/2019 at 6:29 AM, cruiser54 said:

Be sure of your diagnosis. Poke around some more. And, AMMCO has a free diagnosis which always leads to a very expensive overhaul......

Look at motor mounts, trans mount, exhaust system routing and possibility of contact with stuff. 

I will make sure to check all of those on Friday when I get a chance to tinker with the jeep some more, I asked around to a few guys who have done transmissions in the past and all 3 of them asked if the dowl pins where in good condition and if I had replaced and torqued the two upper torx bolts so I guess I have a few other things to check too :L: