ribs....done a bit differently

mjeff87

So I had a rack of St. Louis ribs in the fridge destined for the smoker this weekend, but it literally poured rain (and is still raining, until at least Wednesday).  I didn't want to do them Yankee style in the oven, so I opted to deep fry them.  If you've never tried ribs this way, you owe it to yourself to.  Just peel and cut the ribs into individual pieces (some say to only use baby back ribs, but I prefer St. Louis cut for more meat....I'm not a big fan of baby backs).  Season them with whatever you like, I used salt/pepper/butt rub, and let them sit uncovered in the fridge for a few hours.  Dredge them in all purpose flour, seasoned however you like or just plain, and fry at 350-375 for about 13-15 minutes until they are GBD.  Golden Brown and Delicious.  I used peanut oil, because South, lol.  You can then toss them in whatever sauce you like, just like chicken wings, serve them plain with dipping sauce on the side, or just plain like I like them.  Add some good corn on the cob, a beer or 10, and a nice tossed salad just to keep things healthy.:D  :)  Of course, macaroni and cheese, greens, cornbread, and the like are all good sides to go with as well.

20190609_181625.jpg

20190609_181628.jpg

20190609_181632.jpg

2000000000005292 (1).jpeg

Chef Jeff, saw Guy Fieri sample some fried ribs on DDD recently, I had to put a bucket under my mouth I was salivating so bad LOL. I'm gonna have to do that ASAP. I was going to do a shoulder on the Weber kettle this weekend but like you had rain the whole time. Had to do it crockpot style. Turned out good but liquid smoke is no substitute fro the real thing. 

I've never used an insta-pot, but I do have/use a pressure cooker (the old fashioned kind with the weight on the vent).

I'm not a big fan of "fall off the bone" ribs....for me, there has to be that little bit of "chew" to them, but not too much.  I'd imagine with the technology of an insta-pot you could probably get very good at hitting them right.  Pressure cooker, not so much lol.

Wahoo, spot on on the liquid smoke.  I prefer fruitwoods to smoke with, right now I have a chunk of cherry wood that a work buddy of mine gave me that I'm working my way through.  Good stuff.

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

I've never used an insta-pot, but I do have/use a pressure cooker (the old fashioned kind with the weight on the vent).

I'm not a big fan of "fall off the bone" ribs....for me, there has to be that little bit of "chew" to them, but not too much.  I'd imagine with the technology of an insta-pot you could probably get very good at hitting them right.  Pressure cooker, not so much lol.

Wahoo, spot on on the liquid smoke.  I prefer fruitwoods to smoke with, right now I have a chunk of cherry wood that a work buddy of mine gave me that I'm working my way through.  Good stuff.

Same on the fruit woods, I'll use apple wood with pork tenderloins. If you like salmon, put a slab with melted butter and Chef Prudhome's redfish seasoning on your grill over some of that cherry. Deeeelish! 

I've never met a salmon that I didn't like.  Lol.

That sounds like dinner this weekend (if it would ever stop raining).

Ive been saying it now for about the last five years, I'm gonna have a block party and do a whole hog.....it's gonna happen sometime this summer (picture my wife here right now rolling her eyes.....).  Probably going down sometime in late August/September, mark your calendar.:beerbang: