Turning a longbed into a shortbed...no BOBS

can it be done? what would be required to do this?

the 3800 was backed into in a parking lot today...I was at a stop sign letting a vehicle that had the right of way go, and the kid just backed out. smashed the rear driver's side bedside behind the flare up pretty good. I think it could be fixed...but it wouldn't be fun.

so I'm just gettin the wheels turning here and trying to figure out what I should do. I got all the kids insurance stuff/police report filed, etc. but to be honest, I'm parking the 3800, and at this point would like to see it as a 7" lifted, 33" tire, black with visor shortbed and an 8.8 rear.

Pong or Dirty, best advice? could the rails be chopped/swapped/reinforced, or would it be best to relocate the mounts for the bed and the axle?

this is just an idea. but I don't think I will be driving the thing for much longer this year, so Ideas can fly I guess.

The frame portion is way different. You couldn't swap them without majoy mods.

If you had a good quality donor you could swap frames. Lots of work, but it looks possible based on the tech diagrams and my own looking at them.

Or you could buck off the frame you have at the cab and stich in a new one (from scratch) to make erverything line up. Lots of work again. Probably wouldn't come out better than a stock frame unless there was something you specifically wanted to do (4-link rear, dually conversion, or something else funny).

you go ahead and bob the 89....but that's not for me.

I kinda think they look like #@$%

I might... Or I might truggy it... You'll have to wait and see. :brows:

A long box bobbed to have the same rear overhang as a short box would look sweet IMO.

All the wheelbase as a LWB but the departure angle of a SWB.

I think a longbed with the rear of the bed cut off would look about the same as if I cut the tail off my german shepherd.

which is really kinda crappy actually. I really don't like bobs. not my thing. it's like, "well hey, that looks like the factory was making their trucks with blind eyes...can't they see that that don't look centered?"

and besides, this goes all the way to the wheel well.

I think a longbed with the rear of the bed cut off would look about the same as if I cut the tail off my german shepherd.

which is really kinda crappy actually. I really don't like bobs. not my thing. it's like, "well hey, that looks like the factory was making their trucks with blind eyes...can't they see that that don't look centered?"

and besides, this goes all the way to the wheel well.

I have wheeled with both SWB & LWB rigs. The LWB ones seem to drag @$$ all the time.

I personally don't like CJ-8's, but CJ-6's are cool.

It almost sounded like you dragged backing out of my driveway the other day.

If you plan on wheeling it you either need to lift it real high or shorten it some. The LWB ones have problems on steep climbs and when dropping of ledges.

Just a thought.

here's pictures of the damage...

it really isn't as bad as it could have been, the worst thing is to get it straight again will kinda suck. and the whole bedside has to be stripped to repaint it...

n69205416_32352052_8527.jpg

n69205416_32352053_8756.jpg

n69205416_32352054_8996.jpg

one estimate with a replacement bedside (if it could even be had) was $1760. the other estimate with taking out the dent/kink was $1350. the second one is what will be happening provided this goes through insurance properly. he is at fault, so his insurance company has to pay for it.

That's easily fixed but if you really want a head turner you should build a "Texas Edition comanche" I know "y'all" are all asking what the hell is a Tx edition.

You take a long bed comanche remove the bed then cut the back of the cab off extend it back until the 2 door XJ door will fit, now we have an extended cab truck just add a short box and there you have it the truck jeep should have built for us guys over 6' tall and think about all the room for amps and speakers.

My dad has been talking about this since he bought the comanche 4 years ago we just need a good candidate long bed for the conversion.