Need some schooling on superduty axles

Pete M

So I know the F-250s got the Dana 50 front, but the 350s should still have the Dana 60, yes? I've learned that they have a metric wheel bolt pattern, but how much does that matter to the wheeling world as long as I grab a matching rear axle? Did the 250s have a different rear axle than the 350s? I wanna say yes, but have no data either way. Anyone know of a good info website that lists what came when?

And the truly important question, what would a Superduty Dana 60 front and matching rear go for in the resale market? As I'm sure you've guessed, I found what might be a good deal on some axles, but I haven't a clue if the newest Ford 60 front axles are worth both the arm and the leg like the older ones.

So I know the F-250s got the Dana 50 front, but the 350s should still have the Dana 60, yes? I've learned that they have a metric wheel bolt pattern, but how much does that matter to the wheeling world as long as I grab a matching rear axle? Did the 250s have a different rear axle than the 350s? I wanna say yes, but have no data either way. Anyone know of a good info website that lists what came when?

And the truly important question, what would a Superduty Dana 60 front and matching rear go for in the resale market? As I'm sure you've guessed, I found what might be a good deal on some axles, but I haven't a clue if the newest Ford 60 front axles are worth both the arm and the leg like the older ones.

All I know of the newer axles is thinner walled tubes, and no king pin knuckles. I thought the 250/350 shared the same rear axle...

I'm pretty sure some of the F-350s could have a D50 front. However, they're easy to identify. It says 50F on the housing's rib. However, D50s are VERY rare. I figured they are undesirable axles so I should be able to get a couple for a cheap price, but no such luck.

And the rear axles are probably sterling 10.25s regardless of 250 or 350. They're not exactly great. Heavy duty yes. Worth maybe $200 in good shape. They have a few issues and stupid flaws.

Thanks for the sites guys! I've been doing a bunch of reading and I think I've got a handle on the pros/cons of these axles, but for the life of me I can't find any data indicating what they are worth. I can find tons of info concerning 78-79 Dana 60s and such like that, but my searches are not turning up people selling or buying the newer axles. :dunno: And the big question is, Are they not popular? Are they too new to be common? Or do my searching skills leave much to be desired? (Or all of the above?) :( So far I've been sticking with buying/selling the Exploder 8.8s cause I have a feel for their selling prices and I can afford the initial costs and then sell them one by one as the opportunity arises. But the big axles are much more upfront with no guarantee of any return on my investment. Plus they weigh a freaking ton!!! Well, a 1/4 ton at least. I can man-handle a 175 lb 8.8 around as needed (no, I can't pick the whole thing up by myself :roll: ), but a 500lb axle? Holy cow! How do you guys do it?!

And last but not least, the axle in question is caliper-less and the pinion flange is broken but the guy says it is otherwise complete. The place is asking like $400 but I bet I can talk them down some. The problem is that the matching rear axle is NOT a $50 14 bolt. They want about the same amount for a 10.5 with the ford metric bolt pattern. To complicate matters, they are 3 hrs away so it's not an easy task to run on down to check them out with my own eyes. sigh...

What would you guys do?

Jeep on!

--Pete

If it's a 60 front, and it's reasonably intact, pick it up. The ball-joint unitized hub ones kinda annoying because of the bolt pattern. But apparently it can be fixed.

They're starting to get popular because they are stronger than a standard full-floating hub design in many ways.

The unitized hubs on them are worth a bundle if they're good.

Oh, and as for moving them... Levering, dragging, wiggling... Or you take the damn thing apart as much as you can.

85-91.5 F350 Kingpin

92-98 f350 ball joint

00' and up f350 DRW ball joint, live spindle, and metric hubs

I t really didnt talk much about them. it said it was avaialble in SRW apps. It has 35 spline inners and 32 spline outers. As for price check on ebay and see what they are slling for. Or call HighHonda and see what he is asking for one. IIRC his ebay name is D60provider... or something like that

My continuing internet research has brought up that the Superduty 350s through 01 apparently came with Dana 50s and the Superduty 250s after 02 or 03 started coming with Dana 60s. :hmm: Dang, I hate Ford. Can't make their stupid minds up about anything.