Noisy Interior When Driving. How Do I Fix? (Video Included)

Ok, so here’s the situation.

I have a 1987 Comanche that has recently had the interior restored (Floorboards repaired, sound deadening material, new carpet, new headliner, etc).

With the sound deadening material everywhere in the cabin, even inside the doors and b-pillars, it is MUCH more quiet than it used to be, HOWEVER, there is still some noise in the cabin.

I believe that it is coming from the windows due to worn out seals.  The attached videos shows what I’m talking about.

There’s a bunch of wind noise coming from this area.  I placed my ear near all other areas around the window and couldn’t hear anything near as loud as this area (This was at 55 MPH).

Does anyone out there know of this problem?  Another thing I notice is that my ears pop due to the air pressure in the cabin (Sorta like cracking only one window in a fast moving vehicle).

Another thought I had was, maybe the doors are not sealing up well enough and need aligned.  I had trouble with leaks due to the door seals not making full contact everywhere with the cabin. 

2 hours ago, AZJeff said:

How is your door weatherstrip?  Does it still compress when the door is latched, or is it permanently collapsed with old age?

The weather strip that is attached to the truck itself is brand new.  The old stripping was worn and cracked.

The noise you're focusing on in the video sounds to me like a worn "division bar" weatherstrip as they call it, or possibly the "window channel" seal where it meets at the front corner of the door. I have had trouble with aftermarket weatherstripping fitting poorly in this area, causing a very similar noise. Also, double check that the door seals line up. I've had trouble getting the door to squish that seal properly at the top of the door frame.

Somewhere I have a list written down of all of the Mopar part numbers for the weatherstripping. I'll see if I can find that. Replace all of the weatherstripping in the door with good quality new parts (prefer Mopar where possible) and see where that gets you.

I never did the write-up on this as one part number needed became NLA. 

What really helps is having a good seal at that hay0okie riveted on strip that attaches to the A pillar.

Later XJs had one of different design without the gaps between the rivets. 

You can seal it with a silicone and add trim screws.

Another thing they did was add an air barrier as in the photo. NLA from Mopar.

A pillar seals.jpg

A pillar mod.jpg

A pillar mod-001.jpg

If your door weatherstripping isn’t sealing, try some from a WJ.  It’s thicker and seals better.  Used it on my ‘91 and it really cut the noise down.  You’ll have to cut a small section out at the bottom joint but, other than that, it’s an easy fix..  Start the install at the bend at the front of the door.  I looked  at several WJs at the local PnP to get the best set.