Exhaust question

Basically I want to remove the tailpipe. I have a very solid exhaust system now. Looks like the previous owner bought oem prebent tubing with all the factory hangers & such. Looks almost new, kinda hate to mess with it.....but

I just threw on a cold-air intake & want to install a Magnaflow muffler to gain a few ponies. I can slip the muffler onto the existing pipe, but I am thinking of going back about a foot behind it(where there is a nice hanger) & putting on a turndown & calling it good. I could get rid of about 5 feet of pipe with 5 tight bends in it.

My biggest concern is killing my torque. I did this on my TJ & it lost all low-end power. I put the tailpipe back on & it runs great(when it ain't smashed shut from rocks-why I removed it in the first place).

Also don't want it to sound like crap.

Opinions????

My 4.0 HO has a Borla header, downpipe, high flow cat and a 40 series Flowmaster. It flows way better then stock. I didn't notice much if any lost of torque. The mid range to top end horsepower gain was noticeable. I also gained one mpg.

Removing the taper in throttle body really helped. It eliminate the trans hunting from OD to D on hills. The throttle response is great and power was gained from the bottom to the top end.

It was a great compliment for the exhaust.

Opinions????

Your concern is valid.

Some years ago, when the original exhaust went in my '88 XJ, I took it to my brother who at the time was managing a Speedy muffler shop. He talked me into upgrading to a 2-1/2" system with a turbo muffler. I was always sorry, and couldn't wait for it to rust out so I could justify getting rid of it. It sounded great, I admit ... but I lost torque, I had to downshift more for hills (5-speed), and I dropped about 2 MPG.

When it did finally rust out I replaced with OEM-replacement muffler and 2-1/4" pipes, and got my torque and gas mileage back. No more aftermarket exhausts for me.

I was considering a side exit. The more I think on this, I think I'll just slip in the performance muffler & see how I like it.

It's 2wd, so the tailpipe won't see trail damage, but it is already hitting the rear spring-eye bolt since the lift springs changed the "angle of the dangle" of the shackle. Gonna have to do some tweaking.