Gauge Cluster Swap

I tried to search for this but couldn't find the answer. Is there a way to swap a 97+ XJ gauge cluster into an 87 dash? I have all the 97+ parts available but I want to attempt to keep the 87 dash as it gives me more cab room. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 1:16 PM, Eagle said:

Short answer is "No."

Long answer is "Not without a lot of cutting." Also, the new cluster uses an electronic speedometer. You have a mechanical speedometer.

Thanks, I appreciate the answer. That makes sense. 

11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

are you talking about just swapping the engine itself and keeping your current wiring/injection?

also be sure to add in your truck's specs to your signature :L: 

Will do.

I currently have an 87 MJ with a 4.0 and the Peugeuot tranny. I also have a 2000 XJ with a 4.0, AW4, and 231 TCase that has about half the mileage on it. I want to keep the manual trans, so I'm looking for an AX15 to match up with my XJ 4.0 and NP231. Then swap that into the MJ. If I have to swap the dash, I can, as I have all the parts. But I really like the original dash and was hoping to make it work. 

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

mileage is irrelevant.  how's it's been cared for means much more. :D   how's the health of the current engine?  compression numbers?  leakdown?  oil pressure? 

True haha! The engine is in great condition. I have owned it for 6 years. It was taken care of before me as well. It runs like a champ. 

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

then why the hurry to replace it?  :thinking:

It's currently in my XJ. I want to put it in the MJ. Basically i want to do most of the 97+ swap (fenders, grill, and engine) but keep the interior of my 87 MJ. 

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I meant what's the health of the MJ's engine? 

my bad. It's got 300k on the clock and a Peugeot tranny that's about to go out. It's also 2WD.  I want to keep in manual. So I'm looking for an AX15.

The end goal is an LS swap but that will be a couple of years away. 

but what's the health?  we've got a few members with over 300k on the original engine.  If the engine is pretty healthy, then it would seem to me that you can skip a huge amount of effort by leaving it alone until you're ready for the v8.  :L: 

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

but what's the health?  we've got a few members with over 300k on the original engine.  If the engine is pretty healthy, then it would seem to me that you can skip a huge amount of effort by leaving it alone until you're ready for the v8.  :L: 

I gotcha. I figured since I would be swapping out the tranny, night as well throw a newer engine in there. But I could keep the old one and run it until it quit.

26 minutes ago, JackD said:

. It's also 2WD.

It sounds like he wants to swap out entire drivetrain and obviously make it 4wd. I’m sure you could sell the 4.0 out of the MJ. Probably figures( just guessing) the XJ has been better taken care of (and maintenance more documented) to swap everything as a unit. Still a lot of work.

and he can still do that.  :L:  only he is in his shoes.  I'm just saying that doing an engine swap every couple years sound very tiring to me. :crazy:  But then on some days, walking out for the mail sounds tiring to me so everything is relative :D  

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

:crazy:  But then on some days, walking out for the mail sounds tiring to me so everything is relative :D  

Totally agree!!! This post went from a simple gauge swap to pulling an engine!

Correct. I know everything about the XJ engine. I plan to do an LS swap (but I also plan to do a lot of things that never happen) but that probably won’t be for a few years. I figured in the meantime, I could pull my XJ drivetrain to gain 4wd. My XJ has the AW4 tranny. I was leaning towards buying an AX15 to maintain stick shift in the MJ and swapping everything once I pull it.

Then if I did do the LS, I could mate it to the AX15 with NP231 transfer case.

I hope you understand that the 2000 XJ engine has a lot of things that are different from the '87 MJ. The ignition and injection system is totally different, using a different fuel pump, operating at a different pressure, and the ECU until it different. The CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) operates on a different principle, requiring a different tone ring on the flywheel. And, since you want to change the XJ engine to a 5-speed when you put it into the MJ, that means you don't have a flywheel that will operate with the 2000 ECU, ignition, and injection system.

What that means is that the easiest way to swap that engine into your MJ is to strip everything off it and treat it like a long block -- use only the block and the head, and keep the '87 manifolds and accessories. That way, you can keep the '87 ECU, flywheel, fuel pump, and CPS.

5 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I hope you understand that the 2000 XJ engine has a lot of things that are different from the '87 MJ. The ignition and injection system is totally different, using a different fuel pump, operating at a different pressure, and the ECU until it different. The CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) operates on a different principle, requiring a different tone ring on the flywheel. And, since you want to change the XJ engine to a 5-speed when you put it into the MJ, that means you don't have a flywheel that will operate with the 2000 ECU, ignition, and injection system.

What that means is that the easiest way to swap that engine into your MJ is to strip everything off it and treat it like a long block -- use only the block and the head, and keep the '87 manifolds and accessories. That way, you can keep the '87 ECU, flywheel, fuel pump, and CPS.

Thanks! Yes, I knew there were a lot of differences and I appreciate the insight. I’m either going to do what you suggested or swap the whole drivetrain with the AW4 tranny and all other components.