15x8 or 15x10

I have been piecing together an SOA lift, planning on running 33 inch tire. My question is what size rims it everyone running on 33x12.5x15? I have seen pics of the tire sizes but nothing really on what the rim width is. I would guess that a 10 inch wide rim will have more poke to it.

All tire sizes have a range of acceptable rim widths, and an optimum. Consult the tire manufacturer.

For example, here's a link to the specs for the BFG T/A KO2: https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/upload/bfgoodrich/specifications/specs-all-terrain-t-a-ko2.pdf

If you look up the 33x12.50-15, the range of rim widths is 8.5" to 11", and their specified dimensions are for a 10" rim (so I assume they consider 10" to be the optimal rim width).

normally I agree with the by-the-numbers approach, but 10s of thousands of Jeeps are out there rocking 8" rims with the big fat tires, mine included.  an 8" rim is just 1/2" off the typical "range "minimum".  :L:  you may need to play with the air pressure to find that sweet spot for tire wear but you'll be doing that anyway since it's a giant tire under a lightweight Jeep. 

The long-standing rule of thumb is that the rim width should not be narrower than 4" less than the nominal tire width. Have people gone smaller? Sure. What happens, though, is that the narrow rim pulls the sidewall way in at the bead, causing the tread area to bow up at the shoulders. To get the tread to run more or less flat on the pavement, you have to lower the tire pressure too much. Otherwise, you're just driving on the center portion of the tread and the tire mileage goes into the toilet.

On factory wheels (or 8" rims), you'd be better off running 33x10.50s.