Coil lift springs

I decided to lift my mj in the front with rubicon express 4.5” lift springs. I been trying to compess them to fit on to the truck with no success. The springs are about 21” inches and I need to compess them to the size of about 15” inches. I have attempted spring compess eras and was able to get the coil spring to the size of 17” inches. Anyone got any tips or tricks to get the coil springs in?

Thanks in advance

Put tall jackstands under the frame then use a jack on the opposite side of the axle to push it up this forcing the side you are working on down.  Make sure you have the track bar, shocks, and sway bar disconnected.  

You shouldn't have to remove control arms to get the springs in but you should be replacing at least the lowers to accommodate the lift so put the spring in while it's removed and it will be easier.

Do what Dzimm says, but also use a bottle jack on the side you are working on.  Put the jack on top of the axle and extend it up to the framerail above, then pump the jack as much as it will go.  That will force the axle down (and hold it there securely) while you slip the spring in.  You shouldn't even need spring compressors if you use this method.  I *hate* using those things.

The least “scary” method is to use the FSM approach.  Disconnect the track bar and drag link and sway bar links.  Then support the chassis on tall jack stands.

Place floor jack under axle, and disconnect the lower shock mounts.  Then loosen all control arm pivot bolts and lower axle as needed to remove spring tension.

Depending on spring free height, and control arm length, the upper arms may need to be disconnected from the axle end.

I have done what you are proposing with spring compressors, and its much less anxiety-inducing to do it the way I described above.

5 hours ago, AZJeff said:

The least “scary” method is to use the FSM approach.  Disconnect the track bar and drag link and sway bar links.  Then support the chassis on tall jack stands.

Place floor jack under axle, and disconnect the lower shock mounts.  Then loosen all control arm pivot bolts and lower axle as needed to remove spring tension.

Depending on spring free height, and control arm length, the upper arms may need to be disconnected from the axle end.

I have done what you are proposing with spring compressors, and its much less anxiety-inducing to do it the way I described above.

You are correct.