'86 2.8l-'02 5.3l swap

Been awhile being a home build. Update:

The 'Manche is a 1986 Jeep Comanche Command Trak (4x4, long bed, 5 speed w/ 2.8), 398,000 miles later the trans finally died. Owning a relatively low milage 2002 Chevy Z71 with the garbage 4L60e transmission I decided "LS" swap. Purchased an NV4500 5 Speed manual transmission.

As of now the engine, transmission and transfer case are mounted in the truck. Asides foreseen clearance issues there's been little issues. Any tips or suggestions on stand alone ignition, computers, harness, and or fuel supply? As of now I'm thinking blend the 2 harnesses, flash the computer from the Chevy to dump the AT and pray. Also been looking at lift kits and frame stiffeners, seems every thing is made for short beds. Is there a difference in the suspension?

Thank you in advance and any ideas or different options are appreciated. 

Going through the same thing myself. You can use the Corvette fuel regulator and keep your stock fuel pump. I am building my own LS harness and integrating it into the Jeep harness, using the jeep PDC. Gonna dump the auto shutdown relay and use it to drive a second fan. If you want AC- flash an 2001-2003 Camaro PCM. It controls the fans much better. You will need to think about cable vs drive by wire throttle. I am doing cable just because it is easier. Again you need the early PCM flash that will support an IAC. You can also use an LS1 intake to lower the engine height so you don't need a cowl hood. It is an interesting learning curve for a jeep enthusiast. EFI connections are a great vendor for all the connectors you will need to integrate the harnesses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Engine swap specifics will be about the same as an LS swapped XJ.

In terms of suspension, it's all the same between long and short bed. As far as the frame is concerned, it's six inches longer between the back of the cab and front spring hanger, then an extra six inches between the rear spring hangers and bumper. Plus some stuff mounts in different places, like the shocks and gas tank hangers. Rear cross members are different too.  Creativity could probably make shortbed stiffeners work, but I'm pretty sure Krustyballer on here makes long bed stiffeners, if not now then soon. Check the vendors forum in the classifieds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fella's! As far as flashing goes I need to do that irregardless due to changing the LS over from automatic transmission to NV 4500 5 speed manual.Using the NV 4500 transmission(being way larger than that peugot junk) I'm toying with an idea using heim joints on the custom cross member/Trans mount.  Although research is giving me trouble due to this particular Jeep is AMC and running the Chevy 2.8l instead of Chrysler. I have already 86'd the AC and figured in second fan. Also aluminum 3 core radiator. Tall intake and low oil pan issues have already been solved using for mentioned intake and oil pan for clearance.