leaky tank help

Well today i went to my grandfathers shop to do the brakes so i could drive my new manche, well on the way home she needed gas, so i filled her up, and what do you know, it starts peeing everywhere. it was coming from the rubber seal at the top of the tank. how bad to replace??? now i can't drive it for another week or two!!! :headpop:

You don't have to drop the tank on a MJ or an XJ to change the seal or fuel pump. Basically you take a screw driver and tap the tabs on the locking ring around and remove. Its a basic job, but can be a royal PITA depending on how much rust you have

its also easier to do if you pull the driveshaft

Before you go track down the O-ring, double check exactly where the gas is leaking out. I'll bet it isn't the O-ring. I've never yet seen an O-ring leak on an XJ or an MJ. What does leak on the MJs is the seal where the two hard lines go into the tank through the flange plate that the O-ring seals to the tank. I don't know if those tubes are welded or soldered in place, but the joint seems to vibrate and crack. I've been told that a thorough cleaning and packing it with JB Weld does a good job of sealing it up. I need to find out, because I have the same problem -- which I discovered when I filled the tank AFTER installing a new tank. :headpop: