Hows the price?

Twisty

Not bad for around here. That front D60 would sell for $1400-1800 complete. The rear is worth $200-250 about.
Agreed. Your saving on average probably $650. Thats a steal of a price, so you had better find that $900 in thin air. You could have yourself one of only a handful of One Ton MJ's.

I'm sure I can get a hold of a D70/80 for you, if you'd like...

Besides, $800 falls out of thin air all the time, so offer him that, if he's willing to go that low!

do it. Do It! DO IT!!! :mad:

That is if it is a useable axle in its current condition. I paid 1200 for my 60 and 14 bolt but that included shipping and both axles are/were in great shape when I got them.

Then almost a yr later the ford deal comes along, and it is a whole running truck :eek:

Man the YJ guys are gonna HATE you! The '78-79 Ford D60 fronts are a direct bolt-in on the front of a YJ. The perches are the in the right place. Your find is pure gold to those guys. Especially for that price. Just put a pair of '78 Ford D60's under my bud's 93 YJ. He picked'em up for $800.

Thats a good deal. I have a '85 DRW HP D60 complete being held for me for $400.00. I would already have it but I bought my MJ instead.

I don't really need it but I can use it to make some money for my build budget.

I know a guy who did the 35 spline swap on a d60, and it cost him 250 at the machine shop and another 150 for yukon 35 spline shafts, plus a few dollars in welding rod for what amounts to an unbreakable axle(behind a 4 banger on 38's)

Rear axles are cheap.. most d-60's and 14 bolts for the rear are less then 250, and sometimes can be had cheaper (I have one you can buy for 150)

I found one ~1 hour from my house for $150. Full floater, and complete from drum to drum. Best of all, its coated with POR15 or equivalent...so no rust :brows:

If I can get the 14b for $150, and it costs $400 do upgrade to 35 spline shafts....you can see the obvious choice.

I just got to reading my Diferential book... it appears that Ford f350 I got has the worst d-60's out there. Accordint to the book " A really odd " Wimpy Sixty" with open knuckles, D44 sized inner and outer shafts Combined with 5-282x u-joints ( about the equivalent to the recent 5-332x strength). It had a drivers side offset, standard rotation with a one piece, internally splined hub and disc brakes. The knuckle was notched so the oversized joint would fit inside.

Find a GM 14 bolt instead. The D60s come with 1.31" shafts...the same size as D44s. The Spindle is 1.400", and to accomodate 1.5" 35 spline shats, it needs to be bored out to ~1.600. Which is easier said then done. The spindles are welded to the axle, so you have to find a machine shop that can bore it out, or you have to cut the spindles off and have them bored and rewelded. If you go straight to a full float 14 bolt, you get 1.5" shafts, and a 10.5" ring gear. The carrier is a 2 piece design, so detroit lockers are about $400. And the re-gearing sounds much easier too. No carrier shims to worry about!

and they are a pig as far as size goes

So run a bigger tire ;)

If you shave the 14 bolt, you can get it within 1/2 an inch of D60 clearance. There isn't really anything around the 5.13s though. All you can do is go with 4:1 in the t-case.

I'm going to use the 14 bolt, because its cheaper. I don't really care about gearing, because my MJ is going to be a trailered rig...so with 5.13s and 38s-39s I don't think it will be horrible....I hope.

Gear ratio's only go to 5.13

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/ ... 8962c3534c

;)

I was only going by the Book Randy's put out. so 5.38's wil do me fine :D

BTW I am doing a doubler in Pong np203 to d300 :nuts: might even put a 4 to 1 in the d300... doubt it though.. 32 spline out puts front and rear are all ready a must ;)

I might get my crap done eventually