95 Calibrated 115 MPH cluster / extended Idle

Strokermjcomanche

It's Been kinda hectic lately and haven't posted in a bit , but I grabbed the Cluster / extended idle switch and Ecu out of a 95 XJ . I'll be installing it in my 89Mj that has a complete 95 XJ swap in it . My question is , the extended idle is plug and play right ? Also ,weren't most of these clusters dummy lights ? 

IMG_0991.JPG

18 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Isn't that a police XJ cluster?

Police /government, something of the sorts . This cluster came from a Cherokee that had no real options other than the complete skid plate package and rubber flooring , I see no real evidence of it being a police XJ to be honest. 

On 3/24/2019 at 8:06 PM, Strokermjcomanche said:

Police /government, something of the sorts . This cluster came from a Cherokee that had no real options other than the complete skid plate package and rubber flooring , I see no real evidence of it being a police XJ to be honest. 

But that's what it is, because that's who Jeep sold them to.

I've pulled two of those clusters.  One was from an XJ that had a column shifter like an MJ, so it was plug and play in my MJ.  I didn't bother adding the extended idle switch, I have no need for it.  As for plug and play, my understanding is there is a pin on the computer that gets either a ground or positive feed from the switch and that engages the high idle function.  That pin is likely missing a wire and has a plug, so it will just be a matter of pulling the wire & pin from another XJ/MJ computer harness and adding it to yours.  Then feeding the other terminal of the switch the proper ground or positive connection.

I found a second cluster and the XJ it was in was a console shift.  So I'm saving it in case I convert to column shift when I do my 4x4 conversion.  Right now I am leaning towards keeping the console shifter.

Neither of the XJs showed any signs of being a former police vehicle, other than the cluster.  The one with the console shift did have seats with a smooth vinyl face, which I found unusual.  I also noticed it made sliding in and out of the XJ much easier than fabric and thought that would be a benefit to police car where the driver might be getting in and out often.  I posted about it and got several replies of people who had XJs with smooth vinyl faced seats.  So I concluded it wasn't that rare.

Every police cluster I have seen or seen pictures of had gauges, not idiot lights, but no tach.

When I installed the police cluster, I matched the mileage on the speedo exactly to what was on my original MJ cluster, down to the tenth.

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

XJ_extended_idle_switch.jpg

XJ_police_cluster_console_shift.jpg