88 MJ with 3inch lift -- How big of tires can I fit?

You can run 31's w/out a lift, but it's pretty tight. A 3" lift is better suited and you can run 32's. Anything bigger you'll get in to the need for different backspacing on your wheels.  The main issue will be rubbing on the LCA's with either of those size tires. A common remedy is to use WJ LCA's as they have a curve in the middle to eliminate the rubbing. Aftermarket LCA's usually work also as they are not as wide/thick as stock MJ LCA's. 

6 hours ago, jakeygunz said:

Bought a 1988 Comanche and a 3" lift came with it (uninstalled). If I were to lift the MJ three inches...what size tire could I run with a 15" rim? 

Thanks guys!! 

On a 15" stock rim, 31x10.5R15 will fit with slight rubbing on the LCA which you can alleviate by adjusting your steering stops.

If you move to a 16" stock rim, a 265/75R16 will also fit with steering stop adjustments and proper bump stopping.  This is roughly equivalent to 32x10.5R16.  Skinnier 32's will fit even better.

A 33x10.5R15 will not fit without fender trimming.  And I don't believe anyone currently makes a LT32x10.5R15.  So, if your dead set on a 15" rim your answer is 31's.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:05 AM, Tamadrummer said:

Mines on an unknown 3” lift (previous owner) on 31x10.5x15. Still has stock steering and stock control arms. They fit good

8C905492-43FE-4C08-A762-C358C7F4ECD7.jpeg

That looks great. Mines a little more beat up & will definitely need new paint. I will post pics for everyone once I start the build 

On 3/20/2019 at 2:19 PM, Pete M said:

what lift is it?  what parts do you have?  the cheaper ones are notorious for not including everything you'll need. :( 

also, welcome to the addiction!  :waving:

Honestly not sure, will take a look

and thanks everyone! You guys have been extremely helpful. Think I will go with 31's to start and potentially go to 4.5" of lift and then possible 33's

On 3/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, WahooSteeler said:

You can run 31's w/out a lift, but it's pretty tight. A 3" lift is better suited and you can run 32's. Anything bigger you'll get in to the need for different backspacing on your wheels.  The main issue will be rubbing on the LCA's with either of those size tires. A common remedy is to use WJ LCA's as they have a curve in the middle to eliminate the rubbing. Aftermarket LCA's usually work also as they are not as wide/thick as stock MJ LCA's. 

Will look into LCA's if they rub after the lift. Thanks for the advice! 

On 3/20/2019 at 6:30 PM, DesertRat1991 said:

On a 15" stock rim, 31x10.5R15 will fit with slight rubbing on the LCA which you can alleviate by adjusting your steering stops.

If you move to a 16" stock rim, a 265/75R16 will also fit with steering stop adjustments and proper bump stopping.  This is roughly equivalent to 32x10.5R16.  Skinnier 32's will fit even better.

A 33x10.5R15 will not fit without fender trimming.  And I don't believe anyone currently makes a LT32x10.5R15.  So, if your dead set on a 15" rim your answer is 31's.

Definitely will start with 31's and if I feel the need for bigger I will lift higher and go for 33's. Not trying to do much body modification if I don't have to