1985 Comanche project from Finland, Europe

A-V

Oil leaks fixed. And took me 2 days to get it all back together. Yesterday I put new oil inside and tried to start her up, but to my disappointment the battery had died. After getting some more juice via jumper cables I tried to start her up again and quite soon noticed that the starter was moo'ing like a horny bull in heat (not that i'd know how that would sound like, but it was LOUD). So I'm guessing I f*cked up somehow with the installation. There were no shims used, so I am a bit curious on how that is possible - after all it was all there previously and no extra noises. I guess it is possible that there's some play in the installation holes on the engine or the starter itself so it looks like I've gotta take it all apart again (to reach the starter bolts you have to remove the exhaust, the engine-tranny support brace, etc..) and give it a good shake before re-installing. The removal really wouldn't be such of a hassle if the morons in the factory hadn't used a Bosch starter and installed it with Torx bolts. I mean I do have a full set of them but these ones are the protruding kind, meaning not a hole to put the torx in but a raised 'bolt-head' torx - come on - what's the big idea here. Thankfully I got a set of tools for those too but there's no way to use them with the exhaust/brace in the way. Quite annoying.

All this really got me into wishing I'd had time to rebuild that AMC 290cid and find a manual transmission for it... But decided to stick with the 4-banger for this summer (what's left of it) and actually ordered that new CPS sensor to the engine since the old one was getting worse and worse... Cost me 100 USD to get it to my mailbox today. (75 for the sensor and 25 for s&h). Hopefully that'll fix those annoying breaks I was getting earlier on.

Here's a few pix:

comanche_oilpan_off.jpg

Everything looked fine after oil-pan removal, only thing is that I had to use a chisel to hack out the old oilpan gaskets, no amount of 'gasket removal spray' helped one bit. Replaced those old hardened ones with Mopar RTV. Should hold up quite nicely.

comanche_oilpan_fixed.jpg

Quick paintjob on all the parts and a few hours from this pic it was all done.

comanche_starter2_5.jpg

Here's the curious Bosch starter used here. bolted on from below (like some GM starters i guess?)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the curious Bosch starter used here. bolted on from below (like some GM starters i guess?)

Due to AMC using the GM 2.8L engine, the 2.5L has some odd GM characteristics, the starter and bellhousing bolt pattern are a couple.

jeep_comanche_plated_frontside.jpg

jeep_comanche_plated_rearside.jpg

:jump: :jump: :jump:

As you may see from the pics, it's FINALLY registered for traffic. This meaning the inspection bureau has looked thru the car checking every little detail on it's mechanics, electrics, driveline, engine emissions, etc. It's all good now. It was actually quite funny, becouse on the way to the inspection bureau the idle speed kicked up to some 2500rpm, due to that small valvethingy in front of the intake not functioning as it should. So I took it to the highway, slammed the pedal down some, went shopping (all with temporary licence plates of coz) and let it cool down a bit and voilá. Everything works now - it's just that I hadn't driven the truck for a year...

No comments from the inspection engineer, other than: "I didn't even know Jeep made Pickups, much rather one with a sensible and injected four cylinder and in the 80s!". jamminz.gif I bet he would have flipped if he knew my plans to install a V8... :nuts:

From these 2 pics you can also see the next thing I'll be focusing on with this truck. The paintjob will be redone with proper sanding and straightening the dents. But no worries, it'll stay this color... propably with some flames or scallops and/or pinstripes... 8)

Thanks to everyone for their support on this project!

Thanks for the feedback mates!

Been driving the Comanche to work this week and fixed a few minor bugs already (lights, blinkers, that sort of things that are normal after some 9 years of standing still...). One thing that's starting to bother me is the idle-speed. Normally it bottoms down to it's typical place but lately it's been hanging up on some ~2500rpm (difficult to say without a tach though, but trust me it is HIGH). I'm guessing the problem is the idlespeed stepmotor (whatever it's called in english) which regulates the idle by reading the sensors (i'm guessing mainly o2 sensor?). I have not taken the part out yet, but I would figure it can be cleaned and possibly salvaged?

I was also looking at the o2 sensor in the exhaust and it looks to be original. With 105k miles on the truck it might be a good idea to get that replaced as well, what do u think?

I think I've also lost the heater blower motor, it has started to 'moo' at me and it sounds like the bearings are giving out or something. Oh well, I can possibly get a used replacement motor from a wrecked XJ.

Another thing, is it possible to install a TH-350 transmission behind the AMC 2.5L. Pete M wrote that it shares a bolt pattern with 2.8L GM V6 so it just occurred to me that it might be possible to get rid of the AX4 (or T4 as it may be) manual.. Any thoughts on this?

If it is possible, I would suggest either a 200R4, which should be plenty strong enough for a 4 cylinder (I had it in my 1984 Oldmobile 98 with a 5 liter V8, that car weighs more than a Comanche), or a 700R4, which is basically a 350 with overdrive. But I think a 350 or 700R4 might be overkill. And you'd have to figure something out for the electrically controlled lock up torque converter, even if just a switch on the dashboard.

That is assuming they are readily available in Europe.

I finally fully took apart the idle-stepmotor which regulates the idle-speed. Seemed OK although a bit dirty. It's a pretty simple design and after some wondering I realized a spring had busted behind the 'screw' that turns on the cog-wheel to increase idle when needed. So I found a matching spring from a rear-brake-light sensor (some Cherokee 1997? perhaps) and cut it slightly shorter and installed it. Now the idle returns to 'low' but doesn't rev-up when needed (cold starting etc). After some more checking I realized the electric motor in the sensor doesn't work anymore with 'load' on it. Perhaps I need to get a new one, as for now I turned it into a manual idle configuration. Meaning it defaults on low, but I can adjust it just like it was a carburated model.

I've also looked into the automatic transmission idea on the trusty four banger. Looks like TH200R4 from behind a GM V8 won't fit so I'll have to find one from behind a V6 (80s/90s Camaro, Firebird, etc GM rear wheel drive cars, which are popular around here. All STW's are with V8s sadly, becouse those would have cost me next to nothing to get.. they are THAT plentiful). So this idea is in the works, only thing is to see if I find one. GM shifters/etc gear are sold practicly in milk-stores so I don't think the fitment will cause any problems. Driveshaft will most likely need to adjusted to a different length but I have a mate who does that sort of thing. One thing is that the AMC 290cid is still in the works (and will be for some time) so I might just go ahead with this temporary solution to make the truck more relaxing to drive. I'll keep you posted on it.

Sort of fixed the heater blower motor again, with some WD40. I'm guessing it won't live long though so I'm also on the lookout for a replacement (that earlier one didn't work out - it was just as bad). Don't feel like spending ca$h on a new one yet.

Noticed yesterday that the exhaust has started to leak, mainly from the catalytic converter (which is original from the looks of it). I may end up replacing it with a new unit (general cc's are quite cheap, around $50) or just a muffler (as the truck is old enough for the 'easier' smog-testing on it's yearly inspection). We'll see.

When looking at the exhaust for leaks I noticed the spare tire on the backside of the bed. Damn, that thing has rusted itself into the carriers making it totally useless at the moment. I may just cut it free and replace it with a fullsize spare.

Also on the news. I'm lowering the truck some 4-5 inches, which means I'm getting ~18 inch chrome rims for it for next summer. Possibly going thru winter with the 'old' ones. And yes - I am mental - but seriously it's a pickup not a 4x4... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Progress. Fixed the exhaust leak, which was suprisingly easy with a few welds to strenghten the old welds in the catalysator. I'm guessing it's not working that well anymore, so it might be a good idea to replace it anyhow in the near future.

Also I found a full gage cluster from a 2.1 turbo diesel XJ, which I got for next to nothing along with front springs which i'll most likely cut to be the lowering springs for the front. Back will be lowered by replacing the U-bolts with longer ones and adding a small block of metal between the springs and the rear axle. I was looking at other ways to do this too (like redoing the leaf spring hangers in the rear and/or redoing the leaf springs themselves), but realized this is propably the best way to go. These mods should lower the truck some 4-5 inches. Not really sure when I get the time to get them done, but good planning if half of the job anyhow :D

Oh yeh, to the point, does that diesel '87 full gage cluster with revmeter and others work on my '86 2.5L gasoline version? I do understand that it will be different, but just curious on if it will work at all (it's in the mail, haven't tried yet).

btw, I noticed when accelerating hard with this truck that I can smoke the tires on first gear, then accelerate and when swapping to 2nd gear the tires spin again (on the move, amazing)... I might have underestimated the potential in this 2.5L which has gotten me into thinking about turbos... Anyone turboed the AMC 2.5L ?

• 1 month later...

Installed a stereosystem to the truck.

comanche_hytti.jpg

comanche_seat.jpg

comanche_cd.jpg

comanche_woofer.jpg

5.25 MDS mid+tweeter setup in front

Alpine MP3/CD player in dash

Alpine power-amp behind driver

MDS 10" subwoofer in a closed box behind passenger

+tons of wires.. ;) (will get them sorted out to look 'cleaner' soon)

Costs in total were around 300USD.

I am guessing some of you already know the challenges of installing a decent stereosystem into a Comanche without ruining the practicality of the truck. Took me a while to make the subwoofer box from scratch to the specs I decided on, it's 26.5liters and the 10" sub was rated at needing a 25liter box so the sound is excellent out of it. ;)

Here's a few install shots.

comanche_kajaripaikka.jpg

No speakers option updated... ;)

comanche_ovipahvi.jpg

Original door panels had holes and all, I all needed was to make a hole in the fabric and staple the extra on the back of the board.

comanche_ovivalmis.jpg

This is how the door looked before the 'doh!' when I closed it for the first time (see above pics for the change I needed...).

comanche_ovikahvapaikka.jpg

btw, I installed newer and more 'luxurious' hand rests.. was giving me a headache before taking the door apart on how to attach the top part.. and look what I found under the plastics.. (i used to have the smaller type handrest without the upper handle)...

Also decided on a color for the J e e p decal in the back...

comanche_JEEP_800.jpg

I don't think people will mistake me for a Toyota Hilux from the rear anymore... jamminz.gif (they do know it's a Jeep from the front already...) Text looks a bit blurry, but that's due to JPG compression.. it's well done in real life. :brows:

I didn't know door speakers were optional. I like how obvious the tail-gate lettering is!

Neither did I, and you might guess the trouble I had routing the wires to the doors since I was missing a rubber boot between the doors and the body... so I stole a set of boots from a chevy stw.. ;) didn't quite fit but almost so...

• 8 months later...

Small update to this topic. I've been driving the Comanche all thru the freezing winter, rainy spring and then on to summer. No problems whatsoever and I've been REALLY satisfied on how the 2.5i engine has performed, all from hauling wood to rabble and all sorts of furniture/etc.

I did take the time to continue the pre-paint work of smoothening the bumps around the truckbed. Took about 2 days and there's still more stuff to do, but getting there. After the hammering+bondoing+etc work I re-primered it and it may go into a paintbooth late this summer for a entirely new look... ;)

Here's a few pics.

comanche_repaint_3_front.jpg

comanche_repaint_3_rear.jpg

PS. I even sold the Patriot, so this is my only daily-driver nowadays.