Replacing Stock Suspension

So this spring I'm planning on redoing the suspension parts on the MJ. My plan was to redo the front and rear springs, shocks, and replacing the front lower control arms with WJ arms. I have 31" tires with Canyon rims from my TJ that I'd like to put on the truck. I have not replaced any of these parts since I bought the truck and it's definitely time for an upgrade. I want to keep the ride height the same and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on parts. I'm not looking for an off road set up, just a modest daily driver ride. I don't want to break the bank and also not interested in cheap parts that I'll need to replace after a few thousand miles. Any ideas?

I just replaced all of the bushings on my suspension and I got a nice smooth ride out of it.

Don’t go polyurethane if the truck is your daily....unless you like a good massage on the road.  I recommend replacing the bushing that sits on top of the coil springs if it has never been replaced in its lifetime. 

That’s my suggestion. 

If I where doing it I would 

-Replace control arms with WJ ones as you said

-Replace the tie rod with a ZJ or soild one.

-Replace all tre's with MOOG or something comparable. 

-New Coil isolator pads (as suggested) 

-Depending on how much of a rake you have you might need to put some taller coils or ACOS up front. You can add in upcountry coils for a little lift. OME will give you the best ride but are more $. 

-I'd add in BPE's 

-Decent set of shocks, Bilstiens will give you the best ride but are $

-Replace sway bar bushing and links. Quick discos or stock. 

-You can also upgrade your front sway bar to a thicker one. I know what they do but don't have any experience with it on a MJ so can;t say if it's worth while. 

-Upgrade the track bar or replace it. 

-Remove and repack the rear leafs and replace the bushings.

-Make sure your u joints are good.

-I'm a fan of replacing brakelines to stainless ones. Not necessary but I've always noticed improved brake feel when doing. 

I will plan on replacing bushings with rubber bushings. I made the mistake of using polys on my TJ and didn't like them. My tie rod and ends are in good shape so I planned to leave them alone. As for the shocks I might spring for the Bilstein's, I know they are pricey but most everyone I know who has them tell me their worth the extra money. I'm going to keep the truck at stock height so when looking for parts am I going to need to look for XJ front and rear springs, and shocks? I haven't had much luck shopping for MJ parts online. Does anyone have the Bilstein part #s for a stock ride height, or springs too?  

Don't replace the springs if they don't need to be replaced -- aftermarket springs are always a crap shoot as to whether or not they'll match the factory ride height.

Quick check for the front -- measure from the center of the axle/wheel/hub straight up to the bottom edge of the flare. The stock measurement should be 17-1/2 inches.

For the rear, I don't know what the corresponding dimension should be for an MJ. I use 21-1/2 inches as a ballpark, but that's not precise. The factory says to measure rear ride height with the gas tank full. Measure from the top of the axle tube up to the underside of the frame rail, inboard of the bump stop. The factory dimension is 8.2 inches for 2WD and 9.2 inches for 4WD -- both dimensions with a tolerance of +/- 1/2 inch.

For stock ride height, a set of nearly new JK take offs are an excellent choice. They only need minor mods to fit and they ride great on the MJ. I ran a whole set front and rear for several years before doing my lift last summer. They rode good and the price was right. They can be had cheaply or free if you find them right. The ones I ran were the black ones (non rubicon). The red ones from rubicons will work as well, they are all very close in length to each other. These might be a good option if you don't want to spend big money. 

WJ upper arms will also work if you want to do all 4. Only takes minor trimming. Theres a writeup somewhere. 

Another good upgrade is to a tighter ratio steering box like from a ZJ V8. I did mine, went from 3 1/2 lock to lock, to 2 1/2 lock to lock. Its bolt in other than the pitman arm. 

1 hour ago, dasbulliwagen said:

For stock ride height, a set of nearly new JK take offs are an excellent choice. They only need minor mods to fit and they ride great on the MJ. I ran a whole set front and rear for several years before doing my lift last summer. They rode good and the price was right. They can be had cheaply or free if you find them right. The ones I ran were the black ones (non rubicon). The red ones from rubicons will work as well, they are all very close in length to each other. These might be a good option if you don't want to spend big money. 

WJ upper arms will also work if you want to do all 4. Only takes minor trimming. Theres a writeup somewhere. 

Another good upgrade is to a tighter ratio steering box like from a ZJ V8. I did mine, went from 3 1/2 lock to lock, to 2 1/2 lock to lock. Its bolt in other than the pitman arm. 

I'll keep my eye out for some JK take offs then. I'll look at Craigslist and ebay. Now that you mention it I think I read a write up on using WJ uppers. I'll see if I can find it. I hadn't given any thought about the steering box. That might be a nice upgrade to have. Thanks!