OldSch88L 's crooked 1988 Comanche

8 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

Looks like @jpnjake has some competition.  (Nice) Black truck attack!

I definitely do, this is one sharp truck :drool:

5 hours ago, OldSch88L said:

His truck is also awesome! Looks classy with the rare grille and chrome accents!

:banana: Thank you very much I’m glad to hear you like it.

You truck is awesome And I’m definitely a big sucker for a sports bar and ravine wheels. It’s such a shame there’s not many black Comanches around, they definitely look the best!!:cool:

• 1 month later...

Well, I thought it should be time to finally put some pics, as I'm almost done with this round of upgrades. Here's what went on in the last few months. Rubicon Express 4.5" lift front coil springs, Energy Suspension polyurethane coil spring seats to replace the colapsed rubber ones (#2.6101G), put back in my refurbished tubular lower control arms, Rubicon Express adjustable track bar, all new tie-rods and tie-rod ends, Rough Country extended sway bar links, Rough Country stainless steel braided extended front brake lines, Rancho RS9000XL adjustable front shocks, Rusty's 4" rear leaf springs, 7 degrees pinion angle shims, removed the Chevy lowering shackles and put back the stock MJ shackles, 1998 Dakota rear flexible brake line, and Rancho RS9000XL rear adjustable shocks. Regarding the Rusty's leaf springs, based on what I read, I can tell that the quality is better than it was, now come painted and now built by a subcontractor in Canada. However, Rusty's R&D is what leaves to be desired... They are fiddly to install, as they seem to have too much arch when brand-new and unloaded. Initially, the rear looked more like a 5"-5.5" lift rather than 4 inches. I bounced the truck many times with no shocks attached and all the bolts loose, to help the springs settle. Then I let them sit two weeks, and today, I reinstalled the spare tire under the MJ, and went through the same process. It looks better, closer to the stance I want, but I'm still not a fan of those shackle angles. Time will tell if it gets better. Also, my front tubular lower arms are longer than stock at 16.25", and they're set as forward as they'll go with the maximum amount of shims, but still, the wheels aren't perfectly centered in the fenders yet. In retrospect I think I should have also bought some adjustable arms. I'm still on the finishing touches; bleeding brakes and the clutch master, and getting the truck aligned. Stay tuned for the first drive's feedback!!!:applause::banana:

20230604_170057.jpg

20230604_170125.jpg

20230604_170139.jpg

20230604_170224.jpg

20230604_170238.jpg

20230604_170246.jpg

20230604_170300.jpg

20230604_170327.jpg

20230604_170338.jpg

20230604_170406.jpg

20230604_170442.jpg

20230604_170508.jpg

20230604_170639.jpg

20230604_170714.jpg

21 hours ago, AverageJoe10 said:

Your truck looks great man. Really love the overall look you're going for :beerbang:

Thanks a lot! I'm going kinda for an "OEM Plus" look; keeping as much of the original look while upgrading what I can, in the mindset as the original!

2 hours ago, WranglerMangler said:

Your truck is absolutely beautiful. Really like the painted ravine wheels you chose.  I would just like to make one suggestion, these are well worth the money. Keep up the great work!! 

22C9CC40-01C3-4C41-83D4-8B9C3A5C00BE.png.af26ba93607bb0873ca720d70a0bdba1.png

Could you explain why? The RE bar I got installs without the need of that bracket, and nowhere in the instructions is it suggested as an upgrade... What's the benefit to this exactly? IIRC Rubicon Express only recommended it for their other model of track bar, the one for higher lifts (4.5 and up I think) while mine is for 3.5-4.5", #RE1600. Those drop mounts and drop pitman arms kind of confuse me honestly! And thanks for the compliments by the way!:beerchug:

11 hours ago, OldSch88L said:

Could you explain why? The RE bar I got installs without the need of that bracket, and nowhere in the instructions is it suggested as an upgrade... What's the benefit to this exactly? IIRC Rubicon Express only recommended it for their other model of track bar, the one for higher lifts (4.5 and up I think) while mine is for 3.5-4.5", #RE1600. Those drop mounts and drop pitman arms kind of confuse me honestly! And thanks for the compliments by the way!:beerchug:

The set up you have now is called single shear, you want double shear connections especially on steering parts with heim joints.  Helps prevent death if that heim joint fails. Basically the same thing as cutting off one side of your lower control arm mount bracket. Or cutting off one side of a shock mount tab. What’s stronger? Bolt going through a one sided tab or two? Double shear is always stronger. 
BB4A5762-5388-4F93-BA74-3C267C10BDF7.png.4de69a8c8dee89f3ea2cf0e300d959fd.png8B82FF21-8D0A-4954-A755-392CB0C34D6A.png.07c3037bb936ef3d3720088109b105c3.png
Not saying your doing anything wrong, have seen dozens of rigs running single shear just like you have it, but for just $50 it could be so much safer and stronger. 
Plus. They also sell a reinforcement bar that bolts to that mount and runs over to the other frame rail for more stiffening and support our fragile unibodies love. And I have 2 MJs sitting at my house right now with stock cracked track bar mounts. Don’t seem to hold up well in my experience. 
Just my .02 brother. Keep up the good work. 

On 6/7/2023 at 1:21 AM, WranglerMangler said:

The set up you have now is called single shear, you want double shear connections especially on steering parts with heim joints.  Helps prevent death if that heim joint fails. Basically the same thing as cutting off one side of your lower control arm mount bracket. Or cutting off one side of a shock mount tab. What’s stronger? Bolt going through a one sided tab or two? Double shear is always stronger. 
BB4A5762-5388-4F93-BA74-3C267C10BDF7.png.4de69a8c8dee89f3ea2cf0e300d959fd.png8B82FF21-8D0A-4954-A755-392CB0C34D6A.png.07c3037bb936ef3d3720088109b105c3.png
Not saying your doing anything wrong, have seen dozens of rigs running single shear just like you have it, but for just $50 it could be so much safer and stronger. 
Plus. They also sell a reinforcement bar that bolts to that mount and runs over to the other frame rail for more stiffening and support our fragile unibodies love. And I have 2 MJs sitting at my house right now with stock cracked track bar mounts. Don’t seem to hold up well in my experience. 
Just my .02 brother. Keep up the good work. 

Ah thanks! Now the double shear part makes sense! Do you know if that braket puts the spherical joint in the same spot as the original braket? In other words, it I add it later, will I have to set the track bar and get an alignment again? As for the cross brace, I'll skip as my plans further down the line is to get a Badadfab behind the stock bumper winch mount, which pretty much braces the whole front end.

BadDadFab, He does seem to make some pretty cool stuff. Seems like there could possibly be a long wait time. Was just checking out his FB. Nice find! Some of the best looking XJ bumpers I’ve seen. 

I believe that rubicon express Track bar bracket is technically a “drop bracket”. Your heim joint would be close but most likely have to adjust it slightly. Shouldn’t have to realign? Just support the front of the truck and leave the tires on the ground. Then adjust track bar until your bolt hole lines up. That’s how I’ve always done it and have never had to realign before. Could have just gotten lucky a few times tho? 

• 2 weeks later...

For an update on the suspension, I've been driving the truck for almost a week. I absolutely love the ride. The Rusty's leafs may have been bad in the past, but I think they have been revised. Yes, they are a little bit frustrating to install, but they ride way better than Metric Ton springs on Chevy drop shackles. As for the Rancho adjustable shocks, I think they were meant for heavier vehicles. Luckily, they are right on, IMO, on the softest setting both front and back. The back is perfect, I tried setting the fronts to the second setting but it was getting a bit stiff for my taste, considering the state of our roads over here in Quebec. On the softest setting, I'd say the shocks have just a bit under a 1.5 cycle on bumps. This picture is after a few days with the spare tire back under the truck, and a full tank of gas.

20230624_200708.jpg

6 hours ago, AverageJoe10 said:

Glad to hear the suspension is working out :L:

How does she handle in the dirt?

Your truck makes me want to repaint mine black instead of going back to red. Your MJ just looks so dang clean :beerbang:

Didn't have a chance to try in the dirt yet, since I'm on my "shakedown" week, making sure everything works right and is all buttoned up. I'm keeping an eye on my local Jeep groups for the next trail meet though! And BTW, my truck just LOOKS clean in pictures... It was cheaply repainted in the past and the paint is peeling off everywere, and the rear fenders are full of bondo that's starting to bubble and crack. I have some proper metal and body work to do in the future. The only reason it looks nice is because it was repainted with a single stage black. So, since there's no clear coat, I was able to cut and buff further than with a regular base coat/clear coat paint job to bring back a proper shine...

2 hours ago, OldSch88L said:

Didn't have a chance to try in the dirt yet, since I'm on my "shakedown" week, making sure everything works right and is all buttoned up. I'm keeping an eye on my local Jeep groups for the next trail meet though! And BTW, my truck just LOOKS clean in pictures... It was cheaply repainted in the past and the paint is peeling off everywere, and the rear fenders are full of bondo that's starting to bubble and crack. I have some proper metal and body work to do in the future. The only reason it looks nice is because it was repainted with a single stage black. So, since there's no clear coat, I was able to cut and buff further than with a regular base coat/clear coat paint job to bring back a proper shine...

Ah gotcha. Sounds like the right way to do it :L: I'm sure she's going to handle great on the trails!

Haha well the pictures fooled me! Honestly it's mostly because I compare my MJ to yours and my MJs paint job is pretty rough to say the least :laugh:

Nice to see updates of your progress. Looking forward to seeing more!

I had considered the rancho adjustable shocks, just didn't feel they were worth the price.  Though now I'm intrigued again since you state it rides much smoother on the street.  I have the non adjustable 5000 series Ranchos on the front of mine, and it's a bit stiff for my liking.

23 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

I had considered the rancho adjustable shocks, just didn't feel they were worth the price.  Though now I'm intrigued again since you state it rides much smoother on the street.  I have the non adjustable 5000 series Ranchos on the front of mine, and it's a bit stiff for my liking.

That's exactly why I wanted adjustable shocks. I read a lot of posts on shocks and came to the conclusion that everybody has different preferences so the reviews are worthless. I also have some 5000's on my Ford Ranger and also found them a bit stiff. So adjustables were the logical way to go for me!

1 hour ago, OldSch88L said:

That's exactly why I wanted adjustable shocks. I read a lot of posts on shocks and came to the conclusion that everybody has different preferences so the reviews are worthless. I also have some 5000's on my Ford Ranger and also found them a bit stiff. So adjustables were the logical way to go for me!

Indeed.  I have KYB on the back of my truck and if I had found them for the front I would have bought them.  They are perfect, nice and soft while still controlled.