Converting ax-4 to Ax-5

I'm probably going to be adding to my collection of Ax-4s this weekend, and I might be getting the parts for a fifth gear out of an Ax-5. How easy is it to convert the Ax-4 into an Ax-5?

I also don't have a press, I've got an Ax-4 Midplate assemble sitting in my bench vise right now, and I'm a little concerned on what I would do with the plate where the fifth gear on the layshaft would go.

I originally tore this one apart for the input shaft, I was told it would go into my Toyota w56. I'd rather have an Ax-5 go into my truck though.

I don't know of anyone that's actually done it. It's always been the theory that you could convert an AX-4 to have the overdrive, but it was always also assumed that it'd be easier or cheaper to just go buy an AX-5. :dunno:

Generally I'd have to agree, but when I opened up the Ax-4 it looked like the layshaft and output shaft are setup for the 5th gear, they're just simply missing.

I've been looking for an Ax-5 but It's been proving more difficult than it seems it would.

You are correct that the AX-4 is basically an AX-5 without the fifth gear parts, and I have considered doing this exact conversion. When I discussed it with my friend at the dealership (he's the shop foreman, I guess -- he's over all the techs and tells them how to do the stuff they should know but don't ...) his immediate reaction was "Forget it. Sounds great in theory ... ain't gonna happen."

since were on the ax-4/ax-5 subject and you guys seem to know about them I'm gonna ask. I have an ax-4 in my jeep now with 4.88s so i want over drive. I just picked up an ax5 that has a bad cluster gear? or something like that, it made noise in all gears but 4th, and i picked up a 2wd ax5 with bad syncro's. the question is can i piece all 3 trannys together to make one good ax5?

Is the synchro for the 5th gear in an Ax-5 the same for any of the gears?\

Ok, and another thing, out of complete morbid curiousity. I've never seen anything on this, but if it's possible right now this may be my cheapest option... BA 10/5 behind the 4 popper?

Alrigt, I got the parted out Ax-5 yesterday, and so tonight I figured I'd go out there and see what I couldn't do with the ax-4 sitting in the vice. Turned out a lot easier than I thought it would, the only difficult thing I really had was that stupid plate on the back of the layshaft. But two vicegrips and a breaker bar later and it was off.

I basically have it put together, other than getting the 5th output shaft gear the rest of the way on, and there's something with the rods for reverse and 5th that I can't figure out, right now the shifter will put it into reverse but will not take it out. If anyone's rebuilt one of these could you please tell me how to fix that problem? Everything I came up with wouldn't work.

I got it all together, the internals anyway. It shifts into all 6 gears. All I need to do now is put the case on, make sure it still shifts, then seal it and fill it.

How much fluid does a 4x4 Ax-5 hold?

Plus, I'm thinking I can't, but can I use the T-case linkages from an 88 XJ with the BA/10 on an 86 Ax-5 T-case?

I got it all together, the internals anyway. It shifts into all 6 gears. All I need to do now is put the case on, make sure it still shifts, then seal it and fill it.

Plus, I'm thinking I can't, but can I use the T-case linkages from an 88 XJ with the BA/10 on an 86 Ax-5 T-case?

go get a gallon of gear lube, then just fill it until it's even with the fill plug.

My ax-15 is about 3 quarts.

Application.............................Quantity

4-Speed

..AX4.................................7.4 pts. (3.5L)

..T176................................3.5 pts. (1.7L)

5-Speed

..AX5.................................7.0 pts. (3.3L)

..BA 10/5............................3.5 pts. (1.6L)