Posi-Lok Removal

Hey guys, my Comanche has a Posi-Lok that doesn’t work, it was installed by one of the previous owners. I’m wanting to remove it since I have no use for it and it doesn’t work. I’ve searched Gunny Google and haven’t found how to remove it or what the disadvantages are, if any. Will I be safe basically unscrewing and removing?

9BB55A57-2E5A-4CBA-9D31-F037620B9F1F.jpeg

550001AE-690B-47E2-B86D-FD5F536296B0.jpeg

To remove it you need to pull the four bolts and pull it off the axle, once off there should be two clips that hold the cable to the fork. The next thing would be getting the hole closed up, I would suggest going to a salvage yard and just pulling a vacuum one and installing with the axle engaged. I would be interested in the posi loc if you would like to get rid of it.

Well, that didn't work out as well as I thought it would. Is it normal to hear an audible POP as well as the steering wheel to have a mind of its own after doing this?  Did the delete, reversed out of my drive way to take it for a test drive and both of those things happened. Didn't feel confident to keep going so I just pulled back into my drive way. I'll look over the DIYs again just to clarify everything but I wouldn't mind the help. Thanks all.

7 hours ago, Dixie said:

Well, that didn't work out as well as I thought it would. Is it normal to hear an audible POP as well as the steering wheel to have a mind of its own after doing this?  Did the delete, reversed out of my drive way to take it for a test drive and both of those things happened. Didn't feel confident to keep going so I just pulled back into my drive way. I'll look over the DIYs again just to clarify everything but I wouldn't mind the help. Thanks all.

No, that's not normal. First, as Pete asked -- are you certain you were in 2WD?

Second, are you certain you had the CAD slider fully engaged, and did you have it locked in place when you put the "new" cover back on? How did you lock the slider in position?

5 hours ago, Eagle said:

No, that's not normal. First, as Pete asked -- are you certain you were in 2WD?

Second, are you certain you had the CAD slider fully engaged, and did you have it locked in place when you put the "new" cover back on? How did you lock the slider in position?

Certain as the DIY. Followed everything as stated, ensuring the slider was engaged before and after putting on the cover. 

• 4 weeks later...

That is probably why the posi-lock was installed...it would allow you some driveability on hard surfaces ......then full lock when you want it........hook it up again and you can use your truck in 2wheel and will still have the option of 4x4 (off road or loose surface only)

That is probably why the posi-lock was installed...it would allow you some driveability on hard surfaces ......then full lock when you want it........hook it up again and you can use your truck in 2wheel and will still have the option of 4x4 (off road or loose surface only)

Yeah, I figured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, yxmj said:

And with a welded diff, and a Posi-Lock, if I understand how things work I guess you could also have the option of 3-wheel drive ... engage 4-wheel drive at the transfer case but don't engage the Posi-Lock. Not sure just why anyone might do that, but it would seem to be an option.

it can help turn on a tight trail (I did it once by unlocking a hub), but as soon as the tires jam up, the posi-lok jams too and so you kinda have to know ahead of time when you want to do it.  :( 

Honestly I would grab another (non CAD) front axle.  but it depends entirely on what you want to do with the truck.

it can help turn on a tight trail (I did it once by unlocking a hub), but as soon as the tires jam up, the posi-lok jams too and so you kinda have to know ahead of time when you want to do it.   

Honestly I would grab another (non CAD) front axle.  but it depends entirely on what you want to do with the truck.

That’s the plan! Thanks for all the help, guys. Truly appreciate it