Heat comes and goes

While driving I noticed the heat seems to come and go with different RPMs. The cooling system is full with no air pockets so I am assuming it may be somehow vacuum related maybe? It will blow warm air and then occasionally blows ice cold air then back to warm air again. The controls are also a bit tempermental, sometimes I have to slide it to a different setting then back to where I want it for it to blow from the locations I want. Any thoughts? I haven't owned a MJ in over 20 years until this one and haven't had this truck very long, maybe 5 weeks now, and have driven it maybe 3 of those weeks because I had that leaking fuel sender issue (what a nightmare!) so it is still extremely new again to me. Any common issues you guys know that cause this?

When the heat seems to drop off -- hold your hand over the top of the dashboard and see if heat is coming out of the defroster vents. If so, you have a vacuum leak. The heater controls are operated by vacuum, and the default position when vacuum fails is defrost.

I still feel it blowing from the dash vents, its just hot cold hot cold. Very intermittent. I will check the defrost vents on my drive to work soon. Isn't there a vacuum controlled valve under the hood for the heater or is it all undee the dash? Thanks

8 minutes ago, Mbryson said:

Is the vacuum thing in just the Renix rigs or on the HO generation also?

HO too. It was eventually eliminated in 1997. In fact, a set of 97+ heater hoses are a common way to delete the valve.