1998 comanche

I was asked to start a build thread on a 1988 comanche /98 cherokee update.   So here goes.   I don't find that the swap is very difficult as both trucks are based off the same unibody but with 10 years difference there are subtle changes.  The old mj was renix era and used a GM steering column shift included.   The xj uses obd2 and floor shift.  The hole through the firewall for column will have to be relocated close to brake booster.   Measure and holesaw this.  Not real big deal.  The hvac box is pretty direct.  Redrill the lower bolt by fan motor and slightly elongate 2 directly behind motor.  The old mj steering column mount just dropped down from firewall.  Drill out all spotwelds and toss it.  The newer xj mount is a big aluminum piece that also bolts to left kick panel.  These will need to be redrilled and the old mj ebrake bracket and studs should be removed also.  The mj door strikers will need to be replaced with xj parts.  Again some redrilling with careful measurements should do it.  I’ve tried to upload pics but it’s super slow.  Follow me on IG @88_comanche_chief.  They are all there

55E3091F-7FDB-48BB-82A7-2C15DBFDD81F.jpeg

Edited by 1998 Comanche
Pics

On 12/2/2018 at 2:39 PM, 1998 Comanche said:

I was asked to start a build thread on a 1988 comanche /98 cherokee update.   So here goes.   I don't find that the swap is very difficult as both trucks are based off the same unibody but with 10 years difference there are subtle changes.  The old mj was renix era and used a GM steering column shift included.   The xj uses obd2 and floor shift.  The hole through the firewall for column will have to be relocated close to brake booster.   Measure and holesaw this.  Not real big deal.  The hvac box is pretty direct.  Redrill the lower bolt by fan motor and slightly elongate 2 directly behind motor.  The old mj steering column mount just dropped down from firewall.  Drill out all spotwelds and toss it.  The newer xj mount is a big aluminum piece that also bolts to left kick panel.  These will need to be redrilled and the old mj ebrake bracket and studs should be removed also.  The mj door strikers will need to be replaced with xj parts.  Again some redrilling with careful measurements should do it.  I’ve tried to upload pics but it’s super slow.  Follow me on IG @88_comanche_chief.  They are all there

186ACDFD-4215-45BB-BD17-7B266EF30FBC.jpeg.4211581fcd87ee25448b392aa2347b8e.jpeg

3DADF444-72C1-4ED8-B58F-275E32947562.jpeg

2A782DA2-802B-4A8C-B468-2515BB2578D3.jpeg

F195074F-B45A-4D06-85AC-69BDE1C35A65.jpeg

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, 1998 Comanche said:

Yes it’s cool.  I guess the 2 pumps are for front and rear on xj.   I’m goin to plumb them together on comanche.   

13 minutes ago, Pete M said:

interesting.  :D  that might cause the spray to overshoot the glass, but there's no way to know without trying. :L:  keep us posted!

I'm guessing the same as Pete, too much pressure potentially.  Could also back feed one of the pumps if you don't put a check valve in.

Could plum the rear one out to the rear bumper and give the tailgaters a nice surprise.  

• 1 month later...