Discount Tire Direct

schardein

I've been watching Discount Tire Direct for a year now.  I'm looking to put another set of Michelin LTX M/S2 LT265/75 R16 on my Chevy and replace the 35x12.50-15 on my CJ7 (looking at a couple different options).

What I've noticed is the tires I want are constantly out of stock.  For a year now.

I just noticed at Discount Tire website for In Store, they are available, but at a higher price!

What's going on?  I have beadlocks on my CJ7 and can change them myself.  For the Chevy, even though I live in the middle of nowhere, there is a local business 3 miles down the road that changes tires.  I don't want or need a trip to the local tire store.

I can only interpret this to mean they are deliberately making me go to the store at a higher price.

It's a racket. 

Saving $50 will cost you $100. 

What do you do when you get a blem? Who pays shipping both ways? What do you do when you get one that will not balance? Who offers or services any limited road hazard that comes with the new tire? 

Cost of mount and balance is about $20, add $80 to the cost of your savings, then find a shop willing to mount someone else's tires. 

I have built a relationship with Larry, the owner of Brookes Automotive where I have buy my tires, he has patched tires at no cost, last week I picked up a razor blade, slash, two new tires and he put me ahead of others to take care of me. 

Penney wise, dollar foolish. 

It's a racket. 

What do you do when you get a blem? Who pays shipping both ways? What do you do when you get one that will not balance? Who offers or services any limited road hazard that comes with the new tire? 
Cost of mount and balance is about $20, add $80 to the cost of your savings, then find a shop willing to mount someone else's tires. 

I have built a relationship with Larry, the owner of Brookes Automotive where I have buy my tires, he has patched tires at no cost, last week I picked up a razor blade, slash, two new tires and he put me ahead of others to take care of me. 

Ya, they'd have to be about $300 cheaper than local (just the tires) for it to be worth it.
But ya, the stores are fighting with the internet sales, so any way to make up that difference, they will

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

On 10/31/2018 at 7:37 AM, Jeep Driver said:

It's a racket. 

Those are all good points, except in my case:

I care not about road hazard.  If I get a flat, I change it.  If I get a hole, I plug it.  I don't call anybody.

Never had a blem.  I'd probably just run it.

At least on my CJ, I completely mount and balance them myself.

My local country hardware/feed/state inspection/tire sales place is glad to do whatever tire work I bring them.  I'm on a first name basis with them, as you are with your place.

I've bought two sets of tires through Discount in the past, and for me there were real savings involved.  When I put new Michelins on my Chevy, I priced it out through Discount, including mounting and balancing fees, and went to several local places.  Told them if they could match it within $100 they could have my money on the spot.  None of them could do it.

It seems that game has changed, hence my post.

Here are the tires I'm getting-

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/NIT-215100?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-Nitto-Tires&gclid=CjwKCAjwyOreBRAYEiwAR2mSkqogQxjBL2AaFl6to5RpMnddInKvNlVLBK99k9irv5L-oPztf5E7ORoC58YQAvD_BwE

I was quoted $289.00 mounted and balanced. 

Summit- 

$265.00

$10.00 shipping

Total for 4- $1,100

Local mount and balance- $80

Total $1,180.00

Local- 4 mounted and balanced $1,156.00

10% sales tax $115.60

Total $1,271.60

Difference of $91.60

I'll be bringing new wheels.....over $1200.00

I'll pay the $92 for good service. 

10 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-terra-grappler-g2/p/10207

Discount Tire have these for $1 more than Summit. 

Don't know how it is you guys get these deals......or what you perceive to be deals?

And their site is an absolute PITA to use. 

OK, I get it.  You like dealing with your local place.  And I get it that sometimes money saved isn't worth the headache.

Both sets of tires I bought had rebates from Discount Tire and rebates from the manufacturer.  That's where the deal came from.  And, I'd do it to save $100.  I'm frugal like that.