Looking for the next family wheeler

Smokeyyank

Long story short, I want to get back into a Jeep to have something for camping and road trips. I just sold my BMW, not parting ways with the MJ, but kind of stuck with figuring out which direction to go. I'm debating on either a WJ or XJ. Right now I'm driving a loaner WJ from my dad it's the 4.0 and while I love the 4.0 thing has no power in the WJ. I will admit it's a lot more comfortable and spacious than my old XJ and a big reason I'm looking at one. I've done a decent amount of research on the WJ to know the common faults. I asked the NAXJA peeps and obviously they are impartial to XJ's. So what advice do MJ peeps have?

Choice would either be a 98 or 99 XJ OR a WJ Overland or Limited with a 4.7HO. 

Thoughts? 

More than likely either will retain stock gears.  Which is also another reason I'm finding a WJ more attractive with a V8.  If I was going to build something up I'd go XJ. This would be more of an Overland type rig. Not looking for anything really past 31's and 3" for lift. Just enough to get off the trail for camping and have some fun. We tent camp a lot so being able to have space for our gear is another thing. The XJ was fine before and if I had a rear tire carrier (as I had a spare 33" in the back taking up space) would probably suffice for now with my daughter.  

What's the deal with the Overlander vs other models?

There's tons of very clean WJs for sale with blown up engines, at least that I see.  If I was serious I'd get one of those, and go straight to a not-Chrysler engine option.  It seems like a great chassis, but everything stock in the drivetrain seems to just suck.  Fake D44 rear axle, tcase with a viscous coupler that dies, transmissions that die, pistons dropping skirts, etc.

My mom has a plane jane one with the 4.0 in it and it's been great though.  Also not abused.

Overland has the 4.7HO standard. So 265hp vs 235 of a standard 4.7 and also about 40 more ft/lbs. Also has quadratrek II with Varilock axle in the rear. Has a standard 1" lift with the upcountry package. Some extra skid plates and rock rails. Tranny on those are decent the 545rfe is pretty solid. Not AW4 solid but way better than the 42re on the 4.0, that is garbage. Yes I agree most of the drivetrain is less than ideally compared to its unibody brethren but dollar to dollar for what an XJ is vs the WJ its a tough sell. If emissions weren't an issue I'd agree about a swap. Diesel WJ would be sweet.

Wife has a KJ. I personally hate it. No power and just isn't comfortable. I did think about doing something with it to make it a little more offroad worthy but cost isn't worth it. Really I wish there was a WJ that had  aw4 and the 4.0..... 

Ugh, I wish. It would take someone with some programming skills to get it dialed in right. I know someone was able to swap in a AX15 behind one but the CEL is always on. At the point might as well get the XJ and be done. Stroke it. Swap in some WJ seats FTW!!