Still lurking around.

Megadan

:wavey:I think I haven't signed into this forum in almost  2 years now? Been a crazy world for me, but I still have my 88 Pioneer.  Just thought I would check back in because I have had a small fire lit under me again to do some work on my truck.  Changed careers in my company right around the time I vanished, and have been spending my time working or playing with my bikes.

This has been the focus of my attention all year this year after selling my goldwing. A 2010 Honda VFR1200F with a few upgrades.
38392469_10156500101786992_5378621925994

Anyway, to shorten up... I think the last time I was here my neighbor backed into the rear corner of my bed and broke the tail light and caved in the sheet metal a bit.  Since then the small amount of rot in the fender wells has spread due to my neglect to the point that I will likely have to do some sheet metal repair, but instead of that I am considering building a flat bed with stake sides to make it easier for me to trasport my bikes and a buggy around on.  We will see when I get there.

At this point I am waiting to hear back from a guy selling a pair of axles from his XJ, A non-CAD Dana 30 with upgraded shafts and 4.56 gears along with a ford 8.8 with C-clip eliminators, and matching gears with upgraded shafts.  Both axles have Detroit Tru-tracs in them as well, which should pair well with my NP242 I rebuilt that is sitting in my garage - making it a true "AWD" machine.  If I can get my hands on them at the end of next month I will be able to put my 5" lift for the front and mount a pair of 33's.  Then I can build the bed for it.    

I also picked up a VW ALH TDi engine with all the stuff needed for the conversion which is sitting in my storage unit.  I got a great deal on it - $400, but the catch is that it has 380k miles and the guy that sold it to me said it will need at least an overhaul, and it is also missing the turbocharger.  I had planned to upgrade that anyway if/when I get around to doing the swap, so for now it is going to collect dust.  Can't afford too many projects at the same time... although I wish I could.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi again, and hopefully in the next few months I will have a decent build thread to show some progress.

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

:wavey: Was wondering where you went. Life has a way of getting in the way, and sometimes we just feel like doing other things. Good to see you still around.

I like the bike.

Just went to my own little hole.  I managed to get my foot in the door of the engineering department of our print and mail output service division, which since I was lacking a couple of skills required me to become a student again while also working full time.  Down to one class, which is the one I was looking forward to the most - Solidworks.  It's hard to have any sort of hobby while doing school and work, which is why I mainly played around with my new bike.  Modifications for it were 1 day affairs or waiting on shipping.  Exhaust and intake modifications, full ECU Flash from Guhl - 167whp (190ish -hp crank) (stock is 145 wheel 170 crank)) and I sent my forks and rear shock off to DMr in Indiana for a full retune - valves, springs, etc.  She is a blast to ride, so with my little bits of free time I go set my hair on fire.

I honestly can't wait to do some work to my Comanche.  I have had dreams and visions of what I want for years now, but always had to set them aside.  One of the biggest ones besides the TDi swap was doing a bed.  To this point though I still can't quite decide what route I want to go.  A True flatbed is super easy to build, but without stake sides it loses it's ability to haul loose items, so everything needs to be strapped down or put in a box.

An idea I have been really considering is making my own version of an M105 or M101 trailer turned truck bed.  Like this. m95.jpg

Would be as simple to build as a flat bed, just with sides.  The tailgate would be easy enough, as would the latches and hinges.  I already have a basic design layed out for it with rough exterior measures.  If I could get the bed mount spacing I could mostly build it off of the truck.   Just ideas at this point obviously, but I would really love the look.

5 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

If you are interested in doing a VW TDI engine swap into your Comanche, take look at my build thread:

https://comancheclub.com/topic/52550-86-diesel-mj-to-vw-tdi-conversion/

I have been interested for years now but just haven't had a chance to get around to it, Hence why I bought the engine/ecu/wiring/etc.  I already did read through your build thread yesterday.  I try to soak up as much info as I can lol.  I am going to likely leave the TDi swap for last.  I want to get the axles and suspension sorted out first, then the bed, body,  and some frame stiffening second.  My tired old 4.0L still chugs along reliably, so I am in no huge hurry.  I may pick your brain on some of the wiring stuff if you don't mind.

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

good to see ya! :waving:

and be sure to start a build thread for your bikes!  :L: 

Hey Pete!  I would start a build thread for my bikes if there was much to share.  The Goldwing lost it's rear oil pump after a brass rivet from the damping plate decided to go on an adventure.  I ended up selling it off to another classic Goldwing lover and he fixed it up and is riding it now.  My new bike is so new that there ain't much to build.  Just basic upgrades and a fancy paint job. This picture probably shows it off a bit more.  House of Kolor Sunset Copper Pearl with a fine metallic

33815926_10156352477116992_1828349500389

This is the last picture of my Goldwing taken about a month before she died.  I really miss this bike... and yes, I like Orange.
21740369_10155739181266992_1575358291894

All three of my girls together for the last time.
29597654_10156211078621992_4247310028512

30 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Cafe Goldwing - love it.   :beerchug:

Sort of Cafe', sort of not.  I like the stripped down look of the Cafe' wings out there, but I wanted something a little different and less retro in styling.  I ended up with a very unique bike in the Naked Goldwing world.  Most guys do Cafe' or Tracker builds, and I went with a style I call retro street fighter.  Stripped down and fenderless with modern lighting and suspension upgrades.  That Corbin Touring seat really made the look work.  I took an old fender and cut it off flush with the underside of the seat to protect it, painted it black, and mounted that billet license plate bracket to it.  HighTech Speed X-arc run/turn and run/brake/turn signals for the front and rear tight against the frame and tucked under the edge of the seat gave the lighting a really stealth look and then a Trucklite LED headlight.  Upgraded Mosfet reg/rec, all of the wiring and connectors re-done and modernized to weatherproof Deutsch connectors and a big honkin lithium battery with 500cca (way overkill, but it fit the battery tray lol).   Fully rebuilt and tuned carbs with that Delkevic full exhaust, she ran amazing and sounded even more so.  Topped it off with Progressive 412HD rear shocks, Progressive front springs and Racetech gold valve emulators, it handled amazingly well too.   That bike got a ton of attention and admiration everywhere it went and from all walks of life.  I really regret selling it off, but I just didn't have the time to fix it, and the guy that bought it made me one hell of an offer for it, considering it was an otherwise dead motorcycle.  I used the money from that sale to go toward my VFR, which in many ways is the spiritual successor to the GL1000 Goldwings.  I always wanted a VFR1200, and it seemed like the logical next step.

Since you like it so much... here are a couple more.I should have these pictures framed.

My favorite rear shot.  Those little .875" X-arcs are INSANELY bright.  Those are the running lights, not the brake lights.
21032443_10155682010291992_4193601223436

This is a picture my Girlfriend took.  She's a professional photographer, so she goes for the really dramatic Artsy stuff.
33144240_10156334294466992_4207366511670

I had her down to 568lbs with a full tank of fuel.  Doesn't sound like much, but that is almost 40lbs less than factory.  The exhaust and battery were the two biggest contributors.  Honestly, about the only thing I didn't get around to doing that I wanted to do with that bike was lowering the headlight and gauges a couple of inches.  I think that really would have completed the more sporty look I was going for.   I may do another one in the future, as the 1000 Goldwings hold a special place in my heart. That will wait until I get some work finished on my Comanche though.  It has been ignored and neglected for a long time, and I am tired of thinking about what I want and need to do.