D30 carriers

This may seem like a dumb question but it has to be asked. I am going to regear my jeep eventually from 3.55s to 5.13s. I know I need a new carrier for my d30 axle, the 3.73 carrier. My question is do the spider gears from the 3.55 carrier fit in the 3.73 carrier?

I was going to put an aussie locker in it too. Should I just wait till I have the money for the locker and not even worry about the spider gears?

Next question is what tires are you using that you need a 5.13 gear?  Are you sure the D30 is a good choice for a tire of that size?  The pinion gear has got to be tiny on a set of 5.13 gears in a D30.  You may want to upsize your axle choice for any tires over 33s.

1OQXquJ.jpg

Running 35/36s on a 4cly 5spd. The gears are from revolution gear and axle. the good thing is, the pinion is the same as a 4.88 the ring gear is what changes. I also plan on adding some bumpers and body armor so added weight

There's a reason most gear makers don't offer 5.13s for the D30 -- the pinion gear gets so small that it's very weak and prone to breakage. Since the reason for going to 5.13s is BIG tires, it makes for a very bad combination. If you really need 5.13s, IMHO you're far better off going to a Wrangler Rubicon "D44" even if it is low pinion.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:55 AM, Eagle said:

There's a reason most gear makers don't offer 5.13s for the D30 -- the pinion gear gets so small that it's very weak and prone to breakage. Since the reason for going to 5.13s is BIG tires, it makes for a very bad combination. If you really need 5.13s, IMHO you're far better off going to a Wrangler Rubicon "D44" even if it is low pinion.

From my research Revolution gear, USA Standard Gear, Yukon and Motive all make 5.13s for the dana 30. Also the pinion is the same as the one in a 4.88 gear set. the only thing that is different between the 2 is the ring gear. I have been doing plenty of reading and it seems like most of the people going with this gear set are 4cly jeep owners and they say its holding up fine. Id rather it not break but also want to test a product and put more information out there to better info other owners whether good or bad

• 2 weeks later...