Replacing engine 2.5 L

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing well!

My motor is on the way out,  I check the engine compression and three cylinders are at 90 psi and idling rough .

thought about rebuilding but going with remanufacture instead,  what are you guys thoughts  on ATK and sure fire engines   ? 

I heard really bad reviews and  what do you guys recommend ?

(still wanted to keep small 4 cyclinder instead going 4.0 )

The MJ is my daily driver, details in my MJ are 1987 base 4x2  2.5 L 

Thanks for the reply ! :D

Edited by Comanche_Dee
Correction

I do not know where you are located but I have a complete 2.5 powertrain(needs some clutchwork) free if you want to come get it out of my garage. It came out of my 92 swb 2wd mj. The complete harness is there too. The truck run great, has around 113,00 on mil I think, I occasionally had to pump it up to hold clutch pressure. I really think it may have been a week master cap. Those things seem like plastic garbage on my 86 2.5 too. It is about impossible to put on just right to get an air tight seal. I gutted and saved about everything I could from the truck since it was just rusted beyond repair. It sucked, that mj ran smooth and quiet. Half the time in the cab with the windows up I couldn't tell if it was running or not.

17 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I do not know where you are located but I have a complete 2.5 powertrain(needs some clutchwork) free if you want to come get it out of my garage. It came out of my 92 swb 2wd mj. The complete harness is there too. The truck run great, has around 113,00 on mil I think, I occasionally had to pump it up to hold clutch pressure. I really think it may have been a week master cap. Those things seem like plastic garbage on my 86 2.5 too. It is about impossible to put on just right to get an air tight seal. I gutted and saved about everything I could from the truck since it was just rusted beyond repair. It sucked, that mj ran smooth and quiet. Half the time in the cab with the windows up I couldn't tell if it was running or not.

I’m located down in  Corsicana Texas  where are you located, I would give some for it 

While 90psi is not good, I can almost guarantee you that its running rough for other reasons. 

I've built several engines, I built the new engine that's in my MJ currently and I cannot tell you how anxious I am to build another new engine for it (SBC this time). 

I want to lay my engine out, choose my parts, have direct communication with the machinist, and assemble myself, I want to know, not guess, not accept, not believe what I'm told, I want to know. 

I'm going out on a limb here- I'm going to guess that you have 150-170K miles on it, that's the average lifespan of a 2.5, they will never perform as a 4.0 but much is demanded of it, they get worn out faster. 

If built right and taken care of there is no reason that you could not expect 200K trouble free miles, at least of the engine itself, the ancillaries are a COMPLETELY different matter and that's where the troubles remain. 

I'm going to suggest to you that besides a worn engine your problem is electrical and I'll include your injector with that, also consider vacuum as a source of trouble. 

My suggestion to you-

Find a good core, blocks and heads are all the same through the years (cranks are not, more on that if you want it). Find a good local machinist/engine builder, have him build YOUR engine. I would never recommend to anyone a remanufactured engine. 

Communicate with the machinist, have him lay out parts before he assembles and ask him to allow you to inspect before assembly. 

9cWUmjg.jpg

I'm in Indianapolis Indiana, quite a hike.  I can't bring myself to scrap it but need it out of the way. The only reason why I even kept it is for a complete swap in my 86 2.5.  I have 4 spare 4.0 motors and a dozen extra transmissions aw4 and ax15's so I think if I do another swap and all that work I'd throw in the towel on the good gas mileage 2.5 and just put in a 4.0. At this point though I do not want to ship and not looking for anything other than a good home inside another mj somewhere to keep it from getting melted down and turned into another new foreign car part!

25 minutes ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I'm in Indianapolis Indiana, quite a hike.  I can't bring myself to scrap it but need it out of the way. The only reason why I even kept it is for a complete swap in my 86 2.5.  I have 4 spare 4.0 motors and a dozen extra transmissions aw4 and ax15's so I think if I do another swap and all that work I'd throw in the towel on the good gas mileage 2.5 and just put in a 4.0. At this point though I do not want to ship and not looking for anything other than a good home inside another mj somewhere to keep it from getting melted down and turned into another new foreign car part!

I've sold 99% of everything that I've ever listed for sale, couple of parts I have listed probably won't move and I know that. 

I drove to the KY line to pick up my core and I sold my old block to a guy who drove 200 miles from VA to get it. 

Concise ads, good imaging, and know your audience. Everything sells. 

I could spend an hour stripping your block down, another hour taking pics and placing ads and I'll make 3x the money than selling whole. 

If you want to move it bad enough, you'll do it.  Patience. 

And contrary to popular belief around here......guys are traveling to get parts because good parts really are getting harder to find.