$1000 per day?

JohnQ

Would you guy's work in Nigeria for a $1000 per day?

I got a job offer today working in Nigeria, 30 days on and 30 days off rotation.

I have a friend that has been working in Nigeria for the past year and he says that it's not that bad.

I'm really considering it. :nuts:

Watch out for pickpocket's. Don't fall into any scams, and basically, bring a couple guns just in case, and a nice sharp knife as a backup.

other than that, enjoy annoying people (I've met a few Nigerians, and they are rather rude, obnoxious, and don't know when to ends stuff.)

Watch out for pickpocket's. Don't fall into any scams, and basically, bring a couple guns just in case, and a nice sharp knife as a backup.

other than that, enjoy annoying people (I've met a few Nigerians, and they are rather rude, obnoxious, and don't know when to ends stuff.)

I have met a few myself, not the nicest people around. I will be working on a compound with arm guards and not venturing out at all. I wonder if I can bring my pistol?

I would go, and only work there for a max of a total of a yr, but not all in one yr. The first 85K you make out of country is tax free :brows: so you can bring that back after 3 trips, pay down your debts. Then I would repeat this the following year :eek: Come back find you a easy job to make ends meat while you wait for the following yr. The goal being everytime you go, to pay down/payoff something. After a couple of cycles vehilce paid for.... a few more then your house will be done.

My goal is to be able to walk away from where I work after my house is paid off. 9 more yrs :D

I'm just going to lay claims to a few mountains somewheres, and build myself a nice log cabin and expand it every year till I have a big and nice lodge. Hand built, with the help of the MJ to pull logs and pull the pulley system to hoist them up. :D

OK, well, that's my dream...

In all reality, I'd like to get my grandpa's property, 60+ acres of which, 20 is wooded, the rest is farm land, and theres a 40x80 shop on the land with foundation to add another 20x40 addition on the back.

Theres some hills and fun stuff, a few ponds, streams, and a sand hill...

I would go, and only work there for a max of a total of a yr, but not all in one yr. The first 85K you make out of country is tax free :brows: so you can bring that back after 3 trips, pay down your debts. Then I would repeat this the following year :eek: Come back find you a easy job to make ends meat while you wait for the following yr. The goal being everytime you go, to pay down/payoff something. After a couple of cycles vehilce paid for.... a few more then your house will be done.

My goal is to be able to walk away from where I work after my house is paid off. 9 more yrs :D

I too would do this.

I had a few friends that went as contractors in iraq and came back with 6 figures tax free.

If the wife would have let me go I would have.

So where do I sign up for this nigeria gig?

Mind you, I have no children. That would complicate my decision.

its not as simple as that. the tax free break only works if you stay out of the country for most of the year, you can't be in nigeria then come back every month like that, there is only a certain amount of days you can come back home and still keep the tax exempt status.

i know this because my brother works in iraq, and he is allowed to come back into the country, but he can't come back whenever he wants, if he stays for too many days has has to pay taxes. it sucks.

and if your making 30k a month and paying taxes on that would be hell. and its never as good as it seems. you going there and making that much money is HAZARD pay, because you can get killed etc

Even if you only could come back 3 months out of the year... you would have enough cash stashed to probrably pay the house off after one year... and so what if you have to pay Uncle sam a nice chunk..... you made a nice chunk.

Lets keep in mind the US military is deployed to Iraq and not making what he could make in one month in a year. I would be all over it,but I have no kids, and I don't see my wife much with the rotating shift I work anyways.

Is it in the Niger Delta region?? If so pass on it!!!! Every week or so I get reports at work where Militants kidnap workers all the time. Even with govt troops for guards :nuts:

Best help, the miltants can buy....

I'm getting a million $ insurance policy on my arse before I go. I have two kids, so the decision is hard, but I can't pass up the money.

hmm living to see your kids grow up priceless > your family getting 1million dollars in insurance for the loss of someone they love. :nuts:

NOT WORTH IT

John, it's NOT worth it.

if you have a steady job right now, and are doing fairly well financially, stay here.

that job could be the end of your life, without you ever intending it so. And I think you're a good guy so honestly, something happening over there to you is definitely not on my list of things that should happen.

Traveling to site for work is not what its cracked up to be. I was just a few states away on what was supposed to be a 2 week job... ended up being 6 working on Thanksgiving etc. The only reason I got out of there was that I had plans for Christmas months ahead of time.