from a WJ

Hey guys, i've been searching over the web and found a little info on the 242J. I found one with SlecTrac 2wd, Part Time 4wd, 4wd, etc. I got excited and pulled it and then noticed there's no speedo gear input (it is machined blocked? In picture).

Could I just get another older year rear cover with the speedo open and swap it?

It's connecting to my ax15 23spline.

Thanks!

20170318105100-e36d53d8-me.jpg

• HOrnbrod changed the title to from a WJ
2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

"Early 242s from 1988 through 1991 featured a conventional mechanical (cable) drive speedometer output. In 1992, Jeep introduced a three-wire, digital square wave Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), in the vein of modern automotive systems."

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np242

I have a 92 xj w/aw4, command trac. I'm currently getting a engine code "not reading speed sensor" I see that your post states a 3-wire sensor, I have a 2-wire  sensor (no cable). good it be exclusive to the command trac? I might have to change mine as soon as I can figure out how to test it.

24 minutes ago, a bum with money said:

I have a 92 xj w/aw4, command trac. I'm currently getting a engine code "not reading speed sensor" I see that your post states a 3-wire sensor, I have a 2-wire  sensor (no cable). good it be exclusive to the command trac? I might have to change mine as soon as I can figure out how to test it.

I'm pretty sure Jeep switched to a 2-wire speed sensor on the 92 MJ/XJ models. My 91 has a 3-wire, and since I'm 2WD the speed sensor is on the AW4. I had the same code once, replaced the sensor and that cleared the code. Have you removed the connector from your t-case and eyeballed the wiring and pins to see if everything looks okay?

16 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

I'm pretty sure Jeep switched to a 2-wire speed sensor on the 92 MJ/XJ models. My 91 has a 3-wire, and since I'm 2WD the speed sensor is on the AW4. I had the same code once, replaced the sensor and that cleared the code. Have you removed the connector from your t-case and eyeballed the wiring and pins to see if everything looks okay?

yeah, removed connector to test wiring with volt meter (battery was practically dead). just checked on oreilly's store and saw a two wire sensor $35-$40, the three wire is not cheap. will just replace it and see if that doesn't fix it (secretly I'm hoping it does, I hate to try and trace the wiring).

FYI is the command trac different than the 242 when it comes to speed sensor? 

On 7/10/2018 at 10:24 AM, HOrnbrod said:

On 7/10/2018 at 10:55 AM, a bum with money said:

need a little more advice, I've poured over some of the manuals and no luck. I'm replacing the speed sensor in the transfer case. when I removed the adapter to check the seedo gear I didn't realize that the adapter is offset. it has the 4 equal notches  for the adapter retainer to lock it in place. due to the offset what is the procedure when re-installing the adapter?

thanks 

4 minutes ago, a bum with money said:

need a little more advice, I've poured over some of the manuals and no luck. I'm replacing the speed sensor in the transfer case. when I removed the adapter to check the seedo gear I didn't realize that the adapter is offset. it has the 4 equal notches  for the adapter retainer to lock it in place. due to the offset what is the procedure when re-installing the adapter?

This link  details the procedure. 

On 7/10/2018 at 10:24 AM, HOrnbrod said:

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

This link  details the procedure. 

Hornrod! you are the man!

the piece was so dirty didn't see the numbers. didn't think about the different diameters tho, probably would have missed that anyway. great help as always, the CC site is a wealth of knowledge.