Gauge cluster with tachometer

Yeah I'm just going to keep on tinkering with it, and probably try to take off and realign the needle the best I can. At this point, the worst outcome is that it breaks, or just can't be fixed. Best, it gets fixed. Either way, I'll get to learn something new about it. Also, I always liked the look of the Renix anyways so it's just another reason for me to want to look for another, but hopefully I can get this one to work.:D

20 hours ago, Warren99 said:

I took the tachometer off and this is all I see on the back of it.

image.jpg?width=500&height=374

This tach matches an early 1987 tach I have. Both front and back pics are identical.  The large sweep and fonnt seems to match the 120 mph police calibrated speedometer on the H.O Cherokee. Long term project has been to "fit" this tach and 120 mph speedometer into a full guage cluster.

8 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

This tach matches an early 1987 tach I have. Both front and back pics are identical.  The large sweep and fonnt seems to match the 120 mph police calibrated speedometer on the H.O Cherokee. Long term project has been to "fit" this tach and 120 mph speedometer into a full guage cluster.

That's the early type, which doesn't have the potentiometer. If it came from a V6 and you're using it with a I6, it should be okay.

You can use the diagnostic connectors under the hood to connect the tach and bypass the dashboard wiring. On the passenger side, near the bank of relays, there are two rectangular connectors with yellow covers on them. The smaller one has the output and ground connections for testing a tachometer.

image.png.f3c37021d8936201476a497ca3b94711.png

I already used it in the dash. We used an rpm reader to see what it was idling at. While it was running I put the needle on it at the shown rpm. Then, I held it at 3,500, and the reader showed something like 1,700. Basically, I'm just going to "scrap" this one and keep looking for another. If I see a renix, I'll definitely be getting one, and if I have too, I'll just return it. If it works, I'll just return the old one.

On 7/10/2018 at 12:45 PM, johnj92131 said:

The cop speedo doesn't match the HO cluster but the Euro does....

cop1.jpg.4bc5c6427e6fc36c1c3a8955a48a340c.jpg

eurospeedo1.jpg.495609c163be3fddfee3d67a7f1044a6.jpg