'76 Camaro

GirsMJ86

Anyone know anything about em?

I am looking at one to buy. It has a near mint body/interior but a blown race motor. A family friend owns it and he reinforced the unibody with some more crossmembers so that the torque from the motor wouldn't twist it to hell. So if I got it it would need a new motor. I need to know what engines were offered in em and stuff. As long as the motor that goes into it will mate to an automatic and they both will bolt in I will consider it. I am not wanting to mod it or anything. And I am trying to figure out if I could get it to get about 20+ mpg.

It's either this or a JK Unlimited Rubi, which is only rated at 19mpg highway. So as long as I can get more from the Camaro I will go this route.

Thanks for the help.

Alex

Okay, let me clear this up a bit more. It has a manual tranny in it now. So I need to know engine/tranny combo that would work. I want to keep it floor shift too if that matters.

And while I'm on it, anyone know of any fuel injection kits for a 350, or even a 305 since I have a feeling those are the engine options for this thing.

Plus my K-10s 350 could use a fuel injection setup bad...

Alex

i don't understand?

you could get a tpi setup off a newer camaro or even a throttle body injection setup. i know they make kits and stuff for them, but kinda pricey.

a tuned carbg will be 90% as good as a fuel injection kit

sounds like he subframed the rear.

anyway, it's likely got a small block chevy in it, unless he dropped a big block into it to go racing.

Any small block drivetrain should fit, probably a 350, th400 would be the best way to go.

You could do carbed with the intention of fuelie later.

fuellie will be expensive, you're looking at injectors and such, unless you get a fuellie donor.

look into megasquirt, some assembly required, but infinitly tunable, and lots of premade fuel maps out there for a small block.

By '76 the Camaro's (in Ca. at least) all had A.I.R. pumps and 20 MPG was a thing of the past. Just a few years earlier though, the 2 bbl 307 V8 with a BW T10 4 speed and 3.08's would get 20 no problem. My college ride was a '71 like that.

no clue what engine was in it. it was a big time race motor. could ONLY be run on race fuel. high octane race fuel.

I'm wanting to stick just some small block in it, v8 or v6 don't really care. and milage isnt a big thing. if i was mainly going for milage i would wait for the new camaro and get 30mpg. as long as i can get 20mpg out of this thing with some engine/auto tranny combo i will be happy.

mainly doing it for the looks of em. the '76s were kick@$$.

Alex

I would recommend going 350/700R4 or Ls/LT1/4L60E

Both sweet trannies, and killer motors.

Or, you can always score a TH350 (Turbo 350 tranny) for cheap!

I agree with this one wholeheartedly. The 700R4 would be the tranny I'd recommend if you were after gas mileage. And nowadays, 350's can be had for pretty cheap as well. Sounds like a decent car though, would ya happen to have any pics of it?

I would recommend going 350/700R4 or Ls/LT1/4L60E

Both sweet trannies, and killer motors.

Or, you can always score a TH350 (Turbo 350 tranny) for cheap!

I agree with this one wholeheartedly. The 700R4 would be the tranny I'd recommend if you were after gas mileage. And nowadays, 350's can be had for pretty cheap as well. Sounds like a decent car though, would ya happen to have any pics of it?

I will see if I can get any pics, but with work now that might be hard. I am in sales at the local Chevy dealer. Plus the car is in his barn under the cover on stands I believe. And the hood is off of it or it is a spare hood, I forget if it had another hood for the blower or if the whole was just in the stock hood.

Alex