dealership parts hillarity

mjeff87

The tailgate emblem (J E E P in cheesy chrome plate) on my KJ needs replacing.  I saw replacements from a slew of places on the internet for like $6.99.  Today I was at the local dealership asking if they could de-program the auto/rolling door locks and do a 60K mile tranny service, which is another separate funny story all to itself........and I swung over to the parts counter to see if they had an OEM emblem I could buy.

I was fully prepared to pay upwards of $20 for an OEM emblem (just to avoid the hassle of internet ordering and paying shipping charges on something so small).  Parts guy looks it up, says they have them in stock, then starts laughing hysterically. 

Yep, they have them......$67.

I laughed also, then thanked him and walked out.  LOL.

Almost makes me think whoever put the price in misplaced the decimal point. But you never know. A few weeks ago we ordered a door handle at work, for a 2009 Subaru. The colour-matched handle from the dealer was actually cheaper than the black plastic Dorman through our normal parts supplier, but we would've made up the difference plus some to have the handle shipped. But then we likely burnt that difference in labour dicking around with the shitty Dorman trying to make it fit...

My brother used to work a parts counter at a Toyota stealership.  He always talked about a time he sold a small part ($10 retail) for 3x that price.  He told the customer it lists for $50, but he will sell it for $30.  The customer was grateful.

I am always skeptical when I go to the dealership.  I remember my brother's story.

I just purchased a 2-pack of emblems off eBay.....$9.99 with free shipping.

Like I said, I didn't mind paying a little extra for the convenience, but $67 was just a BIT out of line.

My wife had her Subaru at the dealers for some service.  Among some other things they recommended a cabin air filter replacement......$65.:laugh:  She called me about it.  Told her bring it home, I'll do it.  A $21 Amazon order for the filter later......