Rusty and Boring 1987 Sportruck getting fixed

So a little background on the truck to start off the thread. I found this about an hour south of me here in Ohio in Massillon. I was digging the blue interior, so I had to go check it out. I also liked the fact that it came with a plow (the guy only plowed his down driveway with it). So I pull up and notice it was very rusty. The old 4.0l wouldn't start without a jump. It couldn't even stay running when you took the cables off. So you know the story, I bought it knowing that.  We pushed it onto the trailer and took it up north. On the way home, one of the trailer ramps lost a pin. It started dragging on the road causing a spark show and scared the crap out of me and my buddy that went with me. Luckily the plow pins fit into the trailer ramp strap bolts, so we had a stroke of luck. By the time we got home, it was pitch black, so pictures were taken the next morning. 

Snapchat-6672775

20170522_202337

20170522_202331

20170504_164916

20170504_164843

20170504_164852

20180227_173022

Condition was a little worse than I thought. The front c-channel bumper is welded to the frame. Rockers, cab corners, floor pans, and bed sides are all shot. Inside of the bed is still great and the rest is just meh.  One rear shackle was broken and the other was right behind it. All the shocks were destroyed as well as the front axle disconnect. The passenger side hub is sloppy. The battery is shot, the alternator doesn't work, and basically all of the vacuum lines need replaced. It did not come with keys for the doors, only the ignition.The blower motor seems to not be working and I cannot tell if the HVAC is working. Something is stripped in the window crank on the driver side. The radio turns on, but the speakers do not appear to work. The tires are almost 25 years old and are missing entire chunks. 

I have done a little research on the truck, and it really hasn't been driven on the road since 2003. It has has less than 1000 miles put on it since 2003 and less than 15,000 miles since 1998.

First thing I did was buy a brand new battery to see how this 4.0l ran. Well that was a disappointment. The thing has a bad idle and hesitates when accelerating. It appears to be a miss.  

I replaced all of the vacuum lines in the engine bay. I checked the vacuum, and I am getting about 15 at idle when cold, which I found is acceptable. 

20171227_163236

Right after the vacuum lines were replaced, I put in a new alternator. Finally the battery is charging, and that is one system that is good to go. 

20171227_163254

I also took the plow pump off to rebuild it. 

20171227_163321

So I got super lucky at the yard. I scored the exact factory wheels I was looking for.  I sandblasted them a little just to see how they would clean up.  I also installed some tires I had laying around.  

And before you ask, not the XJ is not mine. I have 1 other jeep and it is a 1998 TJ in about a million pieces.  Hopefully I will have it together by the end of this summer.

20180305_170928

Other goodies that I have to put on.

I picked up this tilt column with matching steering wheel for for truck. I was so excited to find this online.

received_10100288134822949

I picked up some Bosch 746 injectors to hopefully fix the idle issue. I will replace the filters, orings, and pintle caps before I install them. I checked the map sensor and the fuel pressure, and they both checked out. Spark is good to all cylinders as well. The cap is loose on the distributor (I think one tab is broken on the distributor) but I have strong spark. The whole distributor will be replaced before I start driving it. 

20180319_165919

20180319_165901

I also picked up some Moog CC784 springs to replace the worn out factory ones.  

20180323_203157

Everything else will come with time this summer. I will cut off the front bumper and remove the rear. I will make the front one bolt on for the winter to use with the plow. I will make custom front and rear bumpers to run in the summer.  I do plan on making frame stiffeners for the front to assist with the plow stresses on the unibody.  I do have air bags that go inside of the springs to help with the front end sag. I plan to do a posi-lock for the front axle. I feel that 2 wheel low will be beneficial for the driveway plowing. It will need a windshield as well before I can start driving it.  

Nice MJ.  Its nice to see someone start off with a rusted one as well.  I'm in Chicagoland and the one I bought is about in the same shape as yours.  I haven't done really anything to mine other then the injector upgrade, alt, battery and fuel tank/sending unit.  I also need a windshield and a crap ton of cleaning before mine can be driven.   It makes me jealous following builds where the jeep looks like it just came off the show room floor.  How much did you give for it if you don't mind me asking?   

Looking it over I'm excited to see it cleaned up to an extent.  When I look at mine I can't wait to just wax it and see if there is any shine left to the paint.

I love that color, looking for a a 2door XJ that color.

BTW when I changed my injectors, they were varnished closed and made a heck of a difference.  I also somehow killed the o-ring in the fuel pressure regulator in the process.    I'd suggest picking one up cause your probably gonna knock it around changing everything out.

Edited by Lthompson741
adding info.

14 hours ago, Lthompson741 said:

How much did you give for it if you don't mind me asking?  

BTW when I changed my injectors, they were varnished closed and made a heck of a difference.  I also somehow killed the o-ring in the fuel pressure regulator in the process.    I'd suggest picking one up cause your probably gonna knock it around changing everything out.

I paid too much haha. It ran so I figured $1000 was fair with the plow. It was worse than I thought when I got it home, but I am so glad I bought it.  

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel pressure regulator o-ring. I'll be sure to order one with the injector rebuild kit. 

20 hours ago, rosco11 said:

nice score on those wheels.. they look great! And the tilt column too!

I got really excited at the yard when I found them. I got the center caps of eBay since they weren't on the Cherokee I found the wheels on.

This is how rough they used to be. I am thinking about polishing the lips and painting the inserts either charcoal or black. I haven't decided yet.  

2018-03-25_10-23-36

On March 24, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Turbotyler said:

I paid too much haha. It ran so I figured $1000 was fair with the plow. It was worse than I thought when I got it home, but I am so glad I bought it.  

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel pressure regulator o-ring. I'll be sure to order one with the injector rebuild kit. 

Not a bad price with the plow.   I've bought two jeeps with plows now (both CJs) and sold the plows making them pretty much free jeeps.     If your gonna use it to plow it not a bad price at all.

2 hours ago, Lthompson741 said:

Not a bad price with the plow.   I've bought two jeeps with plows now (both CJs) and sold the plows making them pretty much free jeeps.     If your gonna use it to plow it not a bad price at all.

The plan is to just clear my driveway. If a neighbor needs help, I wouldn't mind helping them out.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:10 AM, Pete M said:

nice rescue!   :comanche:   love those rims.  took years for me to find a set of my own.  

I love them too. I would love to find a visor for a decent deal as well, but that is near impossible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my injectors in this weekend. They make a world of difference. Made a little tool for removing the filters from the injectors and installing new ones.  Rebuilding them went quicker than expected.  Only issue I am having is it feels like the truck is running out of fuel over 3k rpm. I don't know if its the TPS or fuel pump.  I still need to check the TPS.  TPS is newer, but could still be off. It may be a clogged fuel filter as well.  Also got my mirror replaced (just randomly fell off a few weeks back) and replaced the passenger side wheel bearing. It was about to fall apart. I discovered one of the caliper slide bolts was missing as well, so I need to order one of those. Glad I didn't drive this thing very far.

41644399711_a273f670ab_k.jpg

41644398311_2e16157df3_k.jpg

27776142558_0aa0521976_k.jpg

Finished adjusting the TPS. It was only 2% off. I also cleaned up the fuel pump ground behind the driver side tail light. Both seemed to help, but I still have a slight initial acceleration.

The idle also cleaned up as well. It used to be about 500 and now it's 700-750.  

On 4/30/2018 at 11:26 PM, Lthompson741 said:

Your a lot farther then me at this point.   I did the injectors and Alternator and ran out of time and money.   Good score on the bedsides!

I needs a lot of body work. The driverside floor board is one massive hole.  The rockers and cab corners are gone. I just got it running better :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

Did you get the airbags in? Help much?

I haven't gotten either set of airbags in yet.  I want to get the front springs in and install the front bags at the same time. The rear will be hopefully before winter.