2.5L Transmission Swap

3 minutes ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

So I got to get a screen capture to show you the link doesn’t work?
Original 2.8 final edition as originally produced the for Camaro 3.4, freaking FWD that shared initial block design are far beyond and different generations from the iron head designs are unusable in these vehicles without a ton of fabrication.
The 3400 engine has the same bellhousing bolt pattern and was based on the 60 deg block but is not the same engine from the 1980s.

I don’t know why you are intent on nitpicking a moot point to start a fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alright, whatever. 

Did you read my post? Variants? I assume you know what a variant is?

I posted a link to a list, which you can find for yourself, of the vehicles with come with longitudinal V6s, including the Firebird, Camaro, S10, Blazer, Trooper..............there are millions of them. Aluminum heads, intakes, headers...............all available. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, NCardwell said:

I have TBI and have done nothing to my engine, all stock. Also I'm not planning on running 10 seconds at the drag strip with my tranny, I’m just looking for a better alternative. I know what transmissions are capable of it’s just what you said was that I was 1 of 3 mj’s with the 904. There’s my issue, it’s rare, and I have had very difficult time trying to find parts, which in most cases I never find. On the other hand, the Ax5 has parts somewhat readily available. Also, from what my grandma has said(she bought it brand new in ‘86) that she’s had to replace the tranny multiple times and I don’t really want to go through that.

Alright. 

You know how many AX5s I've been through? 5 in five years. 

If you think you are going to pick up a junk yard manual and never replace it??????

You've got a 32 year old truck, what do you expect? 

Alright, whatever. 

Did you read my post? Variants? I assume you know what a variant is?

I posted a link to a list, which you can find for yourself, of the vehicles with come with longitudinal V6s, including the Firebird, Camaro, S10, Blazer, Trooper..............there are millions of them. Aluminum heads, intakes, headers...............all available. 

you do know what original design means?
Troopers, s10, Camaro all uses the original generation 1 design. GM sold the Camaro 3.4 to owners of these vehicles to replace the 2.8 & 3.1 engines. S10 and Isuzu stoped using this engine in 91&93 they never got the 3.4 or adapted the FWD engines based on this block.

Generation 2 and 3 are different animals.
If the phrase final incarnation bugs you so much I’ll admit the final incarnation of the block did go until the late 2000s, however the original engine, generation 1, is the 3.4 Camaro. All kinds of things from later generations can be adapted but not easily.

8 hours ago, Green Mesa XJ said:

you do know what original design means?
Troopers, s10, Camaro all uses the original generation 1 design. GM sold the Camaro 3.4 to owners of these vehicles to replace the 2.8 & 3.1 engines. S10 and Isuzu stoped using this engine in 91&93 they never got the 3.4 or adapted the FWD engines based on this block.

Generation 2 and 3 are different animals.
If the phrase final incarnation bugs you so much I’ll admit the final incarnation of the block did go until the late 2000s, however the original engine, generation 1, is the 3.4 Camaro. All kinds of things from later generations can be adapted but not easily.

Here is a V6 from a 94 Camaro, are you telling me this cannot be planted in an MJ?

pul0FKV.jpg

Here is a V6 from a 94 Camaro, are you telling me this cannot be planted in an MJ?

pul0FKV.jpg&key=eb62d5e1e7c57e5d778114e24511b488fcc8e22d37b8bfbc4774a71cd5a2d842
I think you’ve got it backwards, I’m saying the iron head 3.4 will fit just fine since it’s essentially is a stroked 2.8. A 2.8 block after 85 with the bigger mains can be converted to a 3.1. 3.4 is bored out more.
94 3.4 Camaro final rendition of the gen 1 2.8, cylinder head were the same 1985 to 1995 when the gen 1 ended. 3.4 was sold to jeep, Isuzu, gm , etc owners to upgrade their tired underpowered 2.8 & 3.1 engines.
The fwd gen 2&3 are based on the block but it’s not the same engine like the gen 1 2.8,3.1,3.4.
There are some who adapt the 3400 engine and aluminum heads to s10 and Cherokee but it’s not a drop in like the iron head gen 1 3.4. Oil pumps and pans can be vastly different along with a other changes to the block. It’s still a 60 deg block based on the original 1980 block, there are even v8s based on the design.

All I’ve said is the Camaro 3.4 is the last engine like the original 2.8 that is bolt in for these jeeps and a good upgrade. I did say if it had flaws associated with it like the 2.8 I didn’t know about it but believe it to be a good engine.

I'm not arguing or picking a fight, and it's nothing personal with anyone. I don't care what the kid does with his truck, this is not about one engine or one transmission. 

What I am trying to do is get people to think. 

People are going to have to begin to come up with alternatives. What you did 5-10-15 years ago is irrelevant to the upcoming generation. The days of $75 transfer cases and $150 transmissions and $300 donor MJs are GONE, DONE, OVER!

Read carefully- Yes, parts can still be found. 

However- 

I just did another search, I searched all 25 of Pull-A-Part's yards. Out of 25 yards there are 6 80's era XJs, no MJs at all. 

Augusta 1

Baton Rouge 1

El Paso 1

Indianapolis 1

Lafayette 1

Tucson 1

New Orleans West has a '94 with a 2.5 AX5

El Paso has a '88 with a 2.5 AX5 but does not give him an external bell. 

Augusta has an '86 with 2.5 AX5 but no external bell. 

That's it. 

Yes, that is just one company, one set of 25 yards that can be searched.......but..........it's an indicator, it tells me what is out there, what is available. Two years ago most of these yards would have had a dozen or more XJs, not today. 

Answers from years past no longer apply. 

This thread is about a tranny swap.

And not the Craigslist "casual encounters" kind.

Let's get back on subject.

The ax5 is all he will need.  It isn't a wheeler, drag strip truck, racer, or running oversized tires.

The ax5 is sufficient.  Just because someone has had a run of bad luck while using and abusing one doesn't mean it's the transmissions fault.

I myself could never get more than 1k miles out of one.  But, then,  I also put a Buick 3800 in front of one in my novice jeep years.

I was looking into a 700R4 swap in my ‘87 MJ but the motor is so worn out that unless I find another from a TJ or something, I will probably put in one of the 4.0Ls I have with an AW4 (I still have several)
Sucks to have to rewire the truck from TBI and change the fuel pump (longbox Renix won’t fit)
If I had more time, I would attempt to run the TBI with the 4.0L but I feel like my ability and time are drawing shorter each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk