Aw4 shift solenoids

So I'm working on fixing my shifting issues on my (for all intense purposes) 95 Cherokee complete drivetrain in my 89 Comanche. My plan was to steal the shift solenoids from my (spare fully working )  88 AW4 and install them in my Comanche to see if it solves the shifting problem. So when I was comparing the solenoids they look different  ( they are both aisin solenoids) , is there a problem with me using the 88 solenoid? I've heard the aftermarket ones are garbage and mopar ones will run $4-500 and I feel I could get a nice complete low mileage trans for that .

thanks for your help . 

The AW4 solenoids carried the same p/n's from 87-94. In 95 and up the p/n's were changed. But I'm sure you know that. If the solenoid coil resistance is the same for both and they will physically fit, I don't see why they shouldn't work. They both use 12V and applied grounds from the TCU to open and close. 

Thanks Don , in my haste I didn't know they changed in 95 . In my searches for solenoids I seen that they were listed 87-01 but I should have known better. Looks like I may be going to the JY to grab some , the electrical connections are the same but they face the opposite direction preventing them from plugging in ... Nothing is easy anymore lol , thanks again. 

Glad you got it fixed Adam. Question: Did you check the solenoid coil resistance on each of the three solenoid coils on the AW4 harness connector at the transmission tunnel connector before pulling the pan and changing them out? I've never had the pleasure of changing them, but I occasionally check the ~12-15 ohms on each to make sure they are still within specs. Did you find an open coil?

I tried , but I had wiring issues (burnt harnesses ) and was unclear wether or not it was the wiring or solenoids creating the issues , guess it was the solenoids . I changed both of the main harnesses , but not the transmission harness because it didn't have any visual damage . The solenoids are extremely easy to change (one 10mm bolt per solenoid )  , and it sure makes my truck a whole new animal ( my butt dyno is happy lol ) . 

Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this topic, Strokermjcomanche....

I'm planning on doing a tranny screen/gasket swap.  Amazon sells an upgraded kit.  For 50-bucks more, Autex tosses in two shift solenoids with a lock up solenoid.  Not knowing much about our AW4s, their solenoids and not having any shift issues, should I consider upgrading and replacing them while I'm in there?

'Upgrade Kit"? Just wondering. I did do a TransGo shift kit, and new "EBay' solenoids on a '98. I was having other problems. It was the rear speed sensor. Pre-87 have only one speed sensor. I sold that XJ within that year. If I were to change solenoid valves, I'd look for the latter ones, '00-up. They are an Aqua blue, instead of Tan brown. Having a rebuilt trans put in with the HD TransGo kit. See how it goes.

1 hour ago, 75sv1 said:

'Upgrade Kit"? Just wondering. I did do a TransGo shift kit, and new "EBay' solenoids on a '98. I was having other problems. It was the rear speed sensor. Pre-87 have only one speed sensor. I sold that XJ within that year. If I were to change solenoid valves, I'd look for the latter ones, '00-up. They are an Aqua blue, instead of Tan brown. Having a rebuilt trans put in with the HD TransGo kit. See how it goes.

Did the shift points and engagement change much with the TransGo kit? For better or worse?