Header gussets maybe?

Ok, common item.  My header is cracked at second to last pipe.  The crack is at the weld where the pipe meets the main tube.  

I've been reading a lot about options on here. Most all say to replace with later XJ or go for new Pacesetter.  I'm open to either, but I wonder if I can save money and not replace and be ok.  I've read that repairs usually just crack again, so I ask this just as an idea.

Has anyone re-welded and then reinforced with gussets?  I am toying with the idea of adding a gusset or two to the common crack areas.  Coupled with a flex pipe at the downpipe, I wonder if this could be a permanent fix. 

I welcome your thoughts.

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

Welded the one on my wife's 88 nearly 8 years ago. It's fine still. 

Good to hear!  You don't have a pic by chance do you?  I'm thinking of a 3-point attachment at last two tubes and main trunk.

I'm thinking that this type of gusset, COUPLED with a flex tube at my down pipe might be a winning combination.  

Sucks that no one seems to making a renix header with those flex joint like you see on later XJs.  

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Weld it up and install a 6" flex joint on the down pipe and you'll be good. Check your motor mounts too.  

That's the plan.  Funny, I had just ordered replacement motor mounts minutes before I read your comment.  

I think I'll weld a small gusset in there just to make me feel better about it.