Steering column

I got a steering wheel from pull a part, the older, popular one, to put in my mj. My mj is a 1989, and I'm not entirely sure, but the xj was a 92, 93, or 94. When I went to put the new wheel on, the horn was connected by two wires(to the old wheel), and they just popped off, but my new wheel just pushes a button. Do I need to get a whole new steering column, and If I were to, would all of the wiring and stuff from a 92, 3, or 4 xj work? 

Thanks, but I think mine may be different. I never did much tearing into it, all I did was unscrew and take off the wheel, before seeing the issue. I will get picture up whenever I get the chance, and whenever I actually remember to. There is a little plastic tube that sticks up, and gets in the way. Coming out of the tube are wires, which if you grab the wires and push down, they will spring down into the tube. I have a feeling I can maybe figure it out if I just take off the metal plate, but I'm lazy, and don't want to tear apart the wheel, only to get stuck halfway through. Even if I can get it to work, the whole column doesn't adjust, and if it would actually work, I would like to get the steering column from the Xj I left without a steering wheel at pull a part, and put it into my MJ, so that I could adjust the wheel. That was a run-on sentence and a half.

You don't need a new steering column, but the horn parts for the 3-spoke style wheel are totally different than for the base "station wagon" steering wheel. Look closely at the parts diagram in the link Hornbrod provided.

3 minutes ago, Eagle said:

You don't need a new steering column, but the horn parts for the 3-spoke style wheel are totally different than for the base "station wagon" steering wheel. Look closely at the parts diagram in the link Hornbrod provided.

So can I just swap out the parts for the 3 spoke wheel into the column I have now? I'm still new so bare with me please.:thanks:

I swapped my 85 XJ to the 3 spoke style. The original horn button didn’t work, I never could find all the parts to fix it right, touched the wire to a ground to work the horn for years. Also I wanted the 3 spoke style steering wheel anyway so grabbed one off a junker with all the screws and accessories.
I broke that plastic tube that sticks up, back then auto zone carried a help! parts replacement from a GM steering column that worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys first off I'm new here. I'm looking at a '86 MJ with the GM 2.8 V-6 5 speed 4x4 LWB. It runs and drives great but the only thing is that it needs a steering column as the little ear on the back of the lock cylinder broke that hooks to the ignition rod. The previous owner broke the cover off the column so he could still drive it. It is a one owner truck. What other columns will fit in the truck. Thanks for the help.

On February 8, 2018 at 7:25 PM, Warren99 said:

Alright. Thanks for the help. I'll update when I make some progress.:thanks:

Wish I saw this earlier. As the op in the thread hornbrod linked, I'll just say make sure you get under the steering lock plate and pull EVERYTHING above the multi-function switch. There are definite compatibility issues between a couple different versions so you want to make sure you have all the parts from one set, instead of trying to mix and match.

I'm pretty sure that's what whoever "fixed" mine did, had a couple columns apart, stuck the wrong spring back into it, didn't realize, and then when it wouldn't compress properly gave up and left out the horn cam, since the horn didn't work anyway... the horn relay was toast when I got it, and wouldn't've just died without having power put to it without the button working.