88 Comanche SporTruck Project Daily

Noticed a cap located on the property where I work, and ended up getting it for free. It had been sitting there for a decade or two. A little too small (for an early japanese truck), but works great, and it's perfect for sleeping in the back. It's silver, but who gives a sh*t.

R72AEF3.jpg

WlaV2tH.jpg

Today, I went to a local scrap yard and saw a Comanche. Ended up getting a tailgate for a steal, and some other things I could use. I pulled a set of WJ lower control arms, but I am still looking for a set of V8 ZJ coils. I grabbed it's one white stocker wheel that was left to use as a spare for the time being as well. I have not had one.

JPRjJbr.jpg

FMsOnxd.jpg

2rKEQgn.jpg

:L:

LAuIsqi.jpg

and a visor upgrade from my dirty/worn cloth ones...

dirPbTm.jpg

New spare.

zTHLYOb.jpg

2OXhDhu.jpg

Grabbed this... doesn't match, but again... who gives a $#!&.

P1vRHlq.jpg

Grabbed these WJ lowers today as well, and cleaned them up since this picture. I may replace the bushings, and touch up the black paint. Also, modify them for clearance with the angle grinder.

zaY05bV.jpg

I have a set of 15x8 Canyons just about ready to go as soon as I get tires, and these should allow clearance for 31x10.50s.

tbwQHej.jpg

8nvWEZk.jpg

Q4Zf4Pa.jpg

I tried a liberty wheel earlier. 16x7... definitely not a fan. I was going to try and buy a set off a friends totaled Liberty, but I don't like the way they look. Really just wanted for a spare set of tires, but bleh.

egQyrU0.jpg

6i0HyTS.jpg

Started on a set of wheels yesterday that are going on the Comanche mounted with 31s.

Some are worse than others, but they all have some pitting.

8nvWEZk.jpg

I used Aircraft Remover to strip the clear coat and paint from the wheels.

LjXPT3m.jpg

BO3Sytm.jpg

whcafGf.jpg

pAOb2Pt.jpg

Eventually, I got one to look like this:

FpP58c0.jpg

I used a scuff pad to get the pitting out of the last wheel pictured. I am going to use an attachment for the drill or angle-grinder to make the rest go a lot faster.

The question is what to do when i'm done? I really want to see them all polished up, I think it will look really clean. However, I am thinking I should do a decent clear coat job on them afterwards... 

Anyone have any experience with this? Particularly with factory wheels..

• 1 month later...

Finally getting close to 31s and a little height on the Comanche. All the suspension components are fairly worn out, so its nice feeling the subtle improvements in any change. I installed a new V8 ZJ tie rod, a few weeks ago, to replace the worn stock unit. Steering is much tighter now. I still need to install a new drag link, and not sure if I am going to try an alternative, or just run a factory Comanche drag link.

Today I installed the WJ lower control arms after trimming them for clearance. This also made the front end feel different while driving. A lot of this has to do with needing an alignment.

I have a pair of CC784 coils on the way, and the wheels are just about finished and ready to get the 31s mounted. Really excited to see it sitting a few inches higher.

I ended up ordering some Mastercraft Courser CXT A/Ts in 31x10.5r15 for the 15x8 Canyons. Just in time for Winter!

aA13qOm.jpg

TaHf3nG.jpg

z7dzIKw.jpg

Also, my 12v cigarette lighter crapped out, and since I only use USB, I decided to wire in a USB port to replace the 12v socket. It works great, charges faster, was pretty cheap, and simple install.

FNNtQoO.jpg

99WNLF7.jpg

4nZTWkE.jpg

I need to decide on what to use and find a donor set of leaves to bring the rear up. I have some old YJ springs that I disassembled, but they feel a bit flimsy and worthless for anything. I may try cutting the ends off the main just to try, but I think truck springs are a better bet. I have access to a set of 77 Wagoneer springs that could be of use.. :thinking:

3 hours ago, Jeepzahn said:

I need to decide on what to use and find a donor set of leaves to bring the rear up. I have some old YJ springs that I disassembled, but they feel a bit flimsy and worthless for anything. I may try cutting the ends off the main just to try, but I think truck springs are a better bet. I have access to a set of 77 Wagoneer springs that could be of use.. :thinking:

Why polish a turd?

https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/97-571.htm

8 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

I have a fascination with polishing turds! Haha. I was just thinking, the other day, about needing a sticker of a little pile of poop with a sparkle on it.

I do like to try and use what is available, and reduce/reuse/recycle as much as I can. I find it satisfying and hunting for parts is fun, and better for my wallet. However, I do think I will purchase those springs in the future, but I can't justify the $520+ cost at this time to bring the rear up a little.

Thank you though @HOrnbrod. Are those the springs you are running on your 91?

1 hour ago, Jeepzahn said:

However, I do think I will purchase those springs in the future, but I can't justify the $520+ cost at this time to bring the rear up a little.

Thank you though @HOrnbrod. Are those the springs you are running on your 91?

Yes, although the cost was quite a bit less back then. They have a good rep and are a quality product.

• 2 weeks later...

A long night in the garage with much success!

I finally gathered all the parts I needed and decided to start on the front suspension tonight.

I had already installed the WJ LCAs and ZJ tie rod. Tonight, I installed a new MJ drag link, and the CC784 coils (V8 ZJ UpCountry). They are variable rate, and noticeably beefier compared to the factory MJ springs.
I also replaced the spring isolators with a Moog replacement. I installed JKU Rubicon shocks on the front fresh off the USPS truck (Thanks hornbrod!).

e14d21051f3459705a128009b7cad8d1.jpg
I put on the 31s/15x8 Canyons before I tackled the front to see how much space I had. It was very limited.

f860e82984bf57413981fc7454f56593.jpg

This is how it is sitting with the coils in and everything buttoned up.
The front came up around 1.5”. Roughly 3” of lift if you count the tire size increase as well.

49e945373ba13723f9560e2e4c4aad69.jpg
5794da7bf8cf43f8376cce7b98d1cdac.jpg

d28a14225da393dea752456280e8638a.jpg

I picked up a set of 88 S10 blazer 4 ply leaf-springs with pretty low miles yesterday, but I haven’t decided if I’m even going to mess with the back at this point. A bastard pack with these springs may make it too high in the back. I do have a set of 3/4” isolators for the front, incase I want to come up a little more... however, so far so good!
447faa54b23aae49422cbc310bd3ac77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk