Can my '87 knuckles fit on this dana30?

That mount would have probably been okay if they hadn't drilled the holes so large and close to the edge (they were probably running a heim with a gigantic bolt) and if that brace piece had actually been run from the mount all the way across the UCA mount and down to the axle tube (and not made out of angle iron).  And the welds should have been better.

You also can't just move the mount up without doing something with the steering to compensate for that.  You would need to either drop the pitman arm (not a good idea, the XJ arm already has a lot of drop), go to high steer (good idea if you can accomplish it properly), and/or raise the frame side track bar mount (good idea if you can accomplish it properly).

Also the stock track bar is a POS and belongs in the garbage.

I'd never buy a D30 that was on something that was wheeled.  It is probably bent.  Although I doubt they did much wheeling with that mount on there, it would have failed.

How the mounts were made and geometry was changed due to that on my XJ...

8bQZ2kGh.jpg

uqwyLsZh.jpg

kbaAEoRh.jpg

I had to move the track bar frame side mount up as high as I could because I couldn't get a pitman arm with any drop to work with the clearances I had...  But the point is if you move one thing, you're going to have to move something else, which will likely turn into moving everything.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:59 AM, DirtyComanche said:

That mount would have probably been okay if they hadn't drilled the holes so large and close to the edge (they were probably running a heim with a gigantic bolt) and if that brace piece had actually been run from the mount all the way across the UCA mount and down to the axle tube (and not made out of angle iron).  And the welds should have been better.

You also can't just move the mount up without doing something with the steering to compensate for that.  You would need to either drop the pitman arm (not a good idea, the XJ arm already has a lot of drop), go to high steer (good idea if you can accomplish it properly), and/or raise the frame side track bar mount (good idea if you can accomplish it properly).

Also the stock track bar is a POS and belongs in the garbage.

I'd never buy a D30 that was on something that was wheeled.  It is probably bent.  Although I doubt they did much wheeling with that mount on there, it would have failed.

How the mounts were made and geometry was changed due to that on my XJ...

8bQZ2kGh.jpg

uqwyLsZh.jpg

kbaAEoRh.jpg

I had to move the track bar frame side mount up as high as I could because I couldn't get a pitman arm with any drop to work with the clearances I had...  But the point is if you move one thing, you're going to have to move something else, which will likely turn into moving everything.

Thanks for that detailed and articulate answer. I'm gonna reinforce that mount should I use it. Actually been searching for a front Dana44 so it's not something I've decided on yet. While measuring today I found this:

8062040.JPG

8062060.JPG

It seems my front yoke has been hitting my exhaust pipe (down pipe?) which brings me to this question about the problem with the Renix exhaust manifold and or down pipe. 

What is wrong with it and what does it look like? Also, since my pipe is in the way of the stock yoke, is it likely that previous owner(s) already "fixed" the problem but left another less complex problem to fix - replacing/moving the pipe where it interferes with my front yoke?

Yeah, normally the down pipe has a dent in it there for clearance.  If it's tighter to the oil pan or run a bit different it doesn't need the dent.  Who knows if that was an aftermarket pipe or something an exhaust shop bent up, but it's not good if it's hitting.

The only real problem with the Renix stuff is it probably kills some high end power and the exhaust manifold (header) always cracks.

Did your truck get jumped?  The oil pan doesn't look so happy either.

40 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Yeah, normally the down pipe has a dent in it there for clearance.  If it's tighter to the oil pan or run a bit different it doesn't need the dent.  Who knows if that was an aftermarket pipe or something an exhaust shop bent up, but it's not good if it's hitting.

The only real problem with the Renix stuff is it probably kills some high end power and the exhaust manifold (header) always cracks.

Did your truck get jumped?  The oil pan doesn't look so happy either.

Ha! I'm not for certain what all has happened to it but it has a clean body with no rust (other than floor pans.) I'll try to get more pics.