Turbo Ecotec powered MJ?

On 11/12/2017 at 7:21 AM, Jeep Driver said:

The ecotech is a transverse engine, the engine mounts would be the easiest part of the swap. What did you plan for a transmission? 2x or 4x? Where's the starter?

What did you plan for the adapters? can you make your own?

If you plan a turbo on the 2.5, are you going to make your own exhaust manifold? Where are you going to place the turbo? How do you plan on plumbing exhaust? Intercooler? How are you going to evacuate heat? How will you control timing?

Are you starting with a new 2.5? (My opinion)- 2.5 clap-out by 100K miles, look to rebuild first. 

I've yet to see, I won't do it, but your best bet would be a centrifugal supercharger. 

I know it's not a matter of -bang for buck- with you, however, there is nothing worse than putting a ton of effort into something and then realize it's for not. 

If you can control fuel and spark............centrifugal, expensive. Anything else with the 2.5/4.0 is a waste of time, IMO.

there are longitudinal mount ecotec engines. There is also a couple manual trans options. I have moved on from ecotec. If I were to do a car with an ecotec, I would do a small (probably very small) car like an MG Midget, and I would build it specifically for autocross. It's been done, and the results were impressive. I can make anything I need.

A turbo on a 2.5, based on what others have done, ends up on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Stock manifold, custom pipe that goes under the engine and to the turbo. Ideally the turbo should be as close to the manifold as possible for efficiency, but lately I have seen many engines with the turbo a few feet (of pipe length) from the manifold and they are making power just fine.

I wouldn't install a turbo without intercooling. The mega squirt will take care of fuel and spark needs.

Centrifugal would be neat. The Ripp systems used on a lot of JK's put out decent power numbers on the dyno,  but this is a craigslist/ebay/junkyard build. I won't find a centrifugal blower cheap, but there are plenty of good cheap turbo's. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...