The Trash Truck - 87 Comanche rebuild

Picked up a new project and wanted to document it here. I've always wanted one of these trucks and finally found one for a decent price. Up here in Alaska we have a limited selection

What I know about the truck....

1987 comanche. Not sure on what package it is. Any help? It's got a steering column shifer

4.0 with 212k on it. (If it's the original cluster).

Auto AW4?

3.73 TJ axles. SOA rear

Ghetto hacker front end. I'll post pictures... it won't be driven until that's fixed

Everything that the previous owner/owners have done to this thing is getting redone. I'll be relying on this forum for help. Hope you guys are up to it! This thing is rough...

This picture is from the guy before the guy I bought it from

Jf3apZI.jpg

I can't seem to find the upload image button and Flickr & Imgur don't have a direct upload button so I'll use my Photobucket account while it still works...

Here is picture of what I'm working with (while the PO owned it)

Looks like a nice truck to start with.  Do you plan on doing the full 97+ swap or just the front clip?

As for images, I wouldn't trust Photobucket because they will eventually take down your photos and you will have to re-upload.   On Imgur you just upload the picture to their site, click on the picture, that brings up the direct link in a pane to the right of the picture, which you copy and paste here.  It seems like a process but it actually works pretty slick.

Looks like a nice truck to start with. Do you plan on doing the full 97+ swap or just the front clip?

As for images, I wouldn't trust Photobucket because they will eventually take down your photos and you will have to re-upload. On Imgur you just upload the picture to their site, click on the picture, that brings up the direct link in a pane to the right of the picture, which you copy and paste here. It seems like a process but it actually works pretty slick.

Just the clip and doors for now. I'll probably end up redoing everything eventually but I'll run it how it is until then.

I'm still learning how to use Flickr and Imgur. I don't like either compared to Photobucket. :(

Took delivery of the jeep today. I didn't waste anytime removing old crumpled sheet metal.

PO baseline pictures 

I've never worked on a pre97 jeep so it was a little more time consuming

And the replacement panels are on.

It looks good next to my Cherokee :D

Cut off the awful front bumper in prep for something a little more purposeful

The "welds". The clean spots are the only spots it was attached.

I picked up a chunk of 2x6 3/16" to make a stubby bumper. Should look somewhat similar to the Victory bumper I'm running in my xj

Got the doors hung today...

Only things I have left to do is get newer style strikers and figure out how to straighten the doors. The tops struck out... guess I need to bring the bottoms out to get the tops to come in?

The drivers side is worse than the passengers side

Yeah shim the bottom of the door to try and get a better angle up top. Also the new striker makes a big difference. I was unable to get my passenger door to ever sit perfect so I just decided to deal with it slightly sticking out on the top rear and bottom front. Still seals and looks normal.

Yeah shim the bottom of the door to try and get a better angle up top. Also the new striker makes a big difference. I was unable to get my passenger door to ever sit perfect so I just decided to deal with it slightly sticking out on the top rear and bottom front. Still seals and looks normal.

I loosened the top bolts and was able to push the top in to line things up better. Still need new strikers before I do a final tightening

Ran to the junkyard today. Picked up some 97+ plus camel crank door cards and a center console

Still need to go back to get a few things. I forgot and bring a grinder and cut out 97+ strikers. I'm using a bungee cord to hold the door shut right now

No need for a grinder. Just take a torx set with you and remove the bolts holding the 97+ striker. You'll need to elongate the top hole a little for the door to close right and just drill out the lower hole on the MJ. Then weld in a nut or use a rivnut.

No need for a grinder. Just take a torx set with you and remove the bolts holding the 97+ striker. You'll need to elongate the top hole a little for the door to close right and just drill out the lower hole on the MJ. Then weld in a nut or use a rivnut.

...cut out?

...cut out?

I was going to cut the b pillers out of an xj for a template. I got the strikers

I've never heard of anyone trying that. I'm interested to see if this works. It would make this modification much easier if it does.

Yup. Should eliminate any measuring errors

Found a local guy parting a 86 XLS. Picked up these fender emblems for 10$

Started working on the motor. First thing I started with was the vacuum lines

What was removed:

What went back in:

I think I'm missing some of my ERG

Is this a suitable ground replacement?