The Trash Truck - 87 Comanche rebuild

What kind of alignment issues are you having with the doors? Does the rear part of the door close all the way?

If not you need to widen the mounting hole of the stricker to suck it in more on the b-pillar. If it is flush on the back, then just play with the shims up front. It sucks but you'll get it eventually.

What kind of alignment issues are you having with the doors? Does the rear part of the door close all the way?

If not you need to widen the mounting hole of the stricker to suck it in more on the b-pillar. If it is flush on the back, then just play with the shims up front. It sucks but you'll get it eventually.

Passengers side door. The top corner is to high. Just need to fiddle with it more to get it right

Passengers side door. The top corner is to high. Just need to fiddle with it more to get it right

I had the same problem with mine. I adjusted it to fit right and it now has settled and is causing issues with the latch. Gotta bring it back up slightly. If I were you I'd set it just slightly higher than it should be and it should settle into position after a few weeks.

I had the same problem with mine. I adjusted it to fit right and it now has settled and is causing issues with the latch. Gotta bring it back up slightly. If I were you I'd set it just slightly higher than it should be and it should settle into position after a few weeks.

I'll see if my OCD allows it... the drivers door is good the pass side is high. I'll try and leave them and see what happens

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working getting the engine bay back to factory. I've replaced about every vacuum line, undid all the custom wiring, refreshed grounds, cleaned the AIC valve, tps, changed the fuel filter, plugs, wires & cap. I've been chasing an issue where the truck bogs down under a load. It idles fine, bogs under a load then smooths out in WOT. I did a fuel pressure test and tested the fuel pressure actuator. My last guess was the O2 sensor and a computer reset. Any other ideas?

1-4 were black 5&6 were brown

I'll post a video when I can get it loaded

Here's a pic of the truck on Cayons and 35s. After I get the truck tuned up it'll be time to start on suspension & steering

• 2 weeks later...

Got to work on the truck yesterday. I stopped by the junk yard after work Friday and got the supplies to convert the closed cooling system to an open system. Heater hoses from a newer xj & and coolant filler neck from a Dakota. 

i also borrowed and stud gun and slide hammer from my buddy's dad. I pull what I can but I think the best path forward will be to re-skin the roof

and lastly... the trash truck is filling up with trash, all from this truck

• 2 weeks later...

On going issue of the truck bogging down under load.... so far I've replaced the tps, cap, wires, plugs, fuel filter, checked fuel pressure, new vacuum system and o2 sensor. 

The truck idles fine but bogs down when I give it throttle. Before replacing the o2 sensor it would rev high if I gave it enough throttle. Now that I've replaced the o2 sensor it'll bog down and backfire and almost die.... HELP ME figure this issue out. 

I have no idea if this will help, but mine would bog down when giving it throttle. Not nearly as bad as you describe, but it is now running quite well after I put in some fuel system cleaner. The only other thing I did at the same time was clean the battery contacts after it wouldn't start a few days ago (Thanks Pete). So it had to be one of those solutions.

I was hesitant to order it because this stuff always seems like snake oil to me, but I took a chance because I had a gut feeling my injectors are/were clogged and I haven't got to replacing them with the 4 hole injectors yet (it is #5 on my list though!). I used BG 44K but there are other, less expensive versions by Lucas, Redline, etc. at the local auto parts store. I think the previous owner of my truck might have run cheap gas. Especially with the new gas formulas and the ethanol, maybe junk builds up...

My theory is the injectors get clogged and can't get the fuel into in the cylinder fast enough so it leans out. If you really want to do it right, I suppose getting the injectors cleaned/replaced would be the more complete solution. My plan is to use the cheaper fuel cleaner every 4 or 5 tanks as preventative maintenance and get those 4 hole injectors in asap. 

I don't doubt the battery contacts solution either though... My lights seem brighter and it is possible the fuel cleaner did nothing. So YMMV.

Bluenotnick. Thanks for the advise. I don't think it's the injectors because it would rev past the bad idle if I pushed it hard enough. I can try running some premium fuel through it to see if that helps

I forgot to mention this detail...

if I unplug the vacuum line at the MC the idle jumps up and it'll rev just fine. No bogging or backfiring

• 3 weeks later...